New victim, Pygmy Mendocino Cypress

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice Paul. The foliage kind of reminds me of an Eastern Red. Oh look, he even left your change next to the trunk. ;)

Last edited:

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
NICE! I know exactly what i'd do with that tree. very jealous

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very nice Paul. The foliage reminds me of an Eastern Red. Oh look, he even left your change next to the trunk. ;)
I had one before I lost everything when I was inducted into the Army. They are nothing like Eastern Red Cedar in my opinion.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had one before I lost everything when I was inducted into the Army. They are nothing like Eastern Red Cedar in my opinion.
"Inducted" sounds like it must have been an honor. I appreciate your service to our country. I must be thinking of one of my other trees if it looks nothing like a Red.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Vance is right. The foliage isn't much like J. virginiana. It somewhat resembles itoigawa but is more emerald green and very fragrant, like lemons.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
"Inducted" sounds like it must have been an honor. I appreciate your service to our country. I must be thinking of one of my other trees if it looks nothing like a Red.
Inducted was the reason so many young men fled to Canada as the war in Viet Nam progressed. I am honored that I served my country but in the beginning it was not my idea, I was drafted. It is not like foot ball where I found a million dollar income at the end of the Green rainbow.
Vance is right. The foliage isn't much like J. virginiana. It somewhat resembles itoigawa but is more emerald green and very fragrant, like lemons.
Yes it does have an amazing aroma, and I miss it a lot. The bark is amazing too as I remember.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
The bark is amazing too as I remember.
It sure is. These trees grow in soil that is almost devoid of nutrients and high in acidity and aluminum which causes super dwarfed growth. A little tree like mine could be hundreds of years old. Most of the pygmy forest is protected state land but some are on private property where Zack has permission to collect.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It sure is. These trees grow in soil that is almost devoid of nutrients and high in acidity and aluminum which causes super dwarfed growth. A little tree like mine could be hundreds of years old. Most of the pygmy forest is protected state land but some are on private property where Zack has permission to collect.
I envy you. I got mine back in the day before the government knew what they were and where they were. It is my understanding that they are more or less unique. It is my hope that someone out there that has access to them will start to cultivate the tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can barely wait until it is established enough to start styling.

Totally see why. There's an "old witches tree" Just waiting to come out of there!

Please update when you do get to it!

Find a penny pick it up!

Sorce

Top Bottom