New Winged Elm

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I purchased this Winged Elm from Don Blackmond (Gregory Beach Bonsai), it came in yesterday. Packing was Great, tree in perfect shape. The pictures don't do it justice, the water bottle looks bigger than it is. I want to take my time and work with this tree, try not to rush just to get it in a pot on the deck. I am open for suggestions for what is best for it at this time.
Thanks

Attachments

• Elm-1.jpg
    Elm-1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 151
  • Elm-2.jpg
    Elm-2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 149
  • Elm-3.jpg
    Elm-3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Elm-4.jpg
    Elm-4.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Elm-5.jpg
    Elm-5.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 152

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Has lots of age and character, wish it had better taper and a little more dramatic movement. The roots need work.. These are great bonsai subjects though! Nearly impossible to kill,grow fast, small leaves that reduce well and the branches get nice and twiggy!

Propagation is TOO easy with these guys... I recommend you get some cuttings rooted and see if you can't graft a few around the base to get a better nebari.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Now for my crazy/ probably never gonna happen recommendation!

Layer this sucker off just below that big scar! You could have two cool trees! The top half will make a zig-zaggy "tree that looks like a bonsai", and the bottom half would set up perfect for a broom style that could make a nice "bonsai that looks like a tree". :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Layer this sucker off just below that big scar! You could have two cool trees! The top half will make a zig-zaggy "tree that looks like a bonsai", and the bottom half would set up perfect for a broom style that could make a nice "bonsai that looks like a tree". :)

Ignore the branches and take a good look at the trunk. I agree the trunk doesn't have much taper, and in fact has some awkward inverse sections and a knot at the top. You could decide to work on fixing the trunk with sacrifice branches, or you could go the air-layer route. Either way, start with getting the trunk just right before you worry about branch development.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, could inverse taper be alleviated by strategically wounding the trunk in Elm? I've noticed on Trident maple how scars heal so thick that it could improve taper or worsen it depending on where it happens.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah it's very scarry in the higher parts, or the lower part isn't damaged enough ;)

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Now for my crazy/ probably never gonna happen recommendation"
Eric that is funny, when I put "I am open for suggestions" I almost put "but not to cut it into"
I like the normal upright trees, so the lack of flow is not a big factor to me.

" The roots need work - get some cuttings rooted and see if you can't graft a few around the base to get a better nebari."
I am interested in doing this, so I would cut some of the smallest branches and get them started in a pot?

BN - " You could decide to work on fixing the trunk with sacrifice branches"
I don't understand what you are talking about

Thanks to all for your input, look forward to any others.
And how in the world do you do the quotes of someone in the amber box? I have right clicked, left clicked, double clicked, click click, deleted, started over :mad: and just went with quotes at the end of replies.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Eric that is funny, when I put "I am open for suggestions" I almost put "but not to cut it into"

" The roots need work - get some cuttings rooted and see if you can't graft a few around the base to get a better nebari."
I am interested in doing this, so I would cut some of the smallest branches and get them started in a pot?

And how in the world do you do the quotes of someone in the amber box? I have right clicked, left clicked, double clicked, click click, deleted, started over :mad: and just went with quotes at the end of replies.
I just hit the reply button in the bottom right of the post...

And if I want to add a second quote, just hit reply below theirs... It will add it to the same post!

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just hit the reply button in the bottom right of the post...

And if I want to add a second quote, just hit reply below theirs... It will add it to the same post!

Ok, I tried that and I see it in a plain text above, I did not know it would change when I Post it
Thanks

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And how in the world do you do the quotes of someone in the amber box?
And if you just want to put part of their post into the amber box, you highlight the line (s) and hover, then a reply button will pop up under it.
Have fun with this tree, should be a blast!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great character, really nice bark.
The top part above the first scar does have good taper and movement.
I agree with Eric, I would layer it just below that first scar above the straight section.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thinking about putting this in a pot this weekend. I said I am not in a rush to get into a bonsai pot, but thought it may be good to remove the soil and start the root in more flat direction. I have a 12x9x4 pot, would that big enough or should I build a grow box out of 2x4 a bit larger? Or would it be better to just leave as is and slip into a pot the size of the root ball.
Thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I purchased this Winged Elm from Don Blackmond (Gregory Beach Bonsai), it came in yesterday. Packing was Great, tree in perfect shape. The pictures don't do it justice, the water bottle looks bigger than it is. I want to take my time and work with this tree, try not to rush just to get it in a pot on the deck. I am open for suggestions for what is best for it at this time.
Thanks
Good luck with it. Nice looking tree. Apologies, I might have cost you a little extra $$. I was bidding too lol.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Don, sounds good. I ran out of daylight today with other yard projects, hope to get this swapped tomorrow afternoon.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want to take my time and work with this tree, try not to rush just to get it in a pot on the deck.
Ok I did it for you, I know what I said but needed to get it into something and new soil. The 12x9 pot that I had in mind was rectangular so it would have been a bit bigger. When I went to get it I realized it was a broken pot that I had put back together with duck tape (yep I live in Alabama). I did not want to chance it falling apart with this tree so I used this pot. It is actually the same size, just loose a litter where it comes in. New soil and worked it into the roots. I did place some of the existing surface roots in better direction and separate a few from overlapping, but covered everything for now. I am not going to cut any of the existing branches for now. But will cut some of the new shoots from them to put in soil to grow something to use as roots.

Attachments

• Elm-Roots.jpg
    Elm-Roots.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Elm-new pot.jpg
    Elm-new pot.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 67

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok I did it for you, I know what I said but needed to get it into something and new soil. The 12x9 pot that I had in mind was rectangular so it would have been a bit bigger. When I went to get it I realized it was a broken pot that I had put back together with duck tape (yep I live in Alabama). I did not want to chance it falling apart with this tree so I used this pot. It is actually the same size, just loose a litter where it comes in. New soil and worked it into the roots. I did place some of the existing surface roots in better direction and separate a few from overlapping, but covered everything for now. I am not going to cut any of the existing branches for now. But will cut some of the new shoots from them to put in soil to grow something to use as roots.
Funny. I have that same exact pot!
Kind of an odd one, I have always thought, but looks great!

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The elm seems to have been OK with the repotting. It has come out very well ( as I can see), I was surprised at the leaf size. Having had Chinese Elms in the past, I was expecting the smaller leaf that gets a bit hard shiny appearance. I will move it away from the wall, to all freedom to grow. Trying to figure the best place for it, if it is under the pine trees , chance of a limb falling on it.

Attachments

• WingedElm-NewLeaves1.jpg
    WingedElm-NewLeaves1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 47
  • WingedElm-NewLeaves2.jpg
    WingedElm-NewLeaves2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 48

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This has gotten a bit bigger and I did a repot last year getting the roots in a better shape. No new branches have come out on it. I am trying to pull 2 of them down but they are really on opposite side of each other and 1 will have to go at some point. When I got it out of the winter room Monday it was very few leave open, this is today. They will continue to fill in and be full as we get into summer. But that is all, a tree full of leaves. What needs to be done or can be done on the branches to help this?
I know the big toe / root sticking out has to go, did not remove last year because I cut out a lot of roots and it has roots growing from it. Want to let it recover a couple year before I remove it.

Attachments

• IMG_3353.jpg
    IMG_3353.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3355.jpg
    IMG_3355.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3356.jpg
    IMG_3356.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3358.jpg
    IMG_3358.jpg