New with Juniper Bonsai trees

Ecko

Seedling
Reaction score
Would like some opinions, my juniper tree has been looking little on the sick side getting dry and brittle. I have large humidity tray under it with rocks under a full spectrum grow light, with a well draining soil with sand and gravel. And knowing they not really inside tree I try making it close to outside elements as I can spraying with water to keep moisture up high as I can. While doing all this my tree still is getting brittle more and more. Gave it a scratch test trunk is still got green under bark. The roots look healthy brown ish red not soggy, I think I could prune the roots but I don't want to stress my tree out even more at the moment. I'll post some pictures, if anyone has some advice please reply or what do you think? Thanks.20180707_210934.jpg

don b

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It absolutely needs to be outside. If you keep it indoors, I promise you it will die.

Ecko

Seedling
Reaction score
Even with full spectrum LEDs it still won't survive indoors at all??

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Even with full spectrum LEDs it still won't survive indoors at all??
It is not just the light. Temperature fluctuations, air movement, humidity levels..You just cannot mimic all the variables indoors

Ecko

Seedling
Reaction score
It is not just the light. Temperature fluctuations, air movement, humidity levels..You just cannot mimic all the variables indoors
I should probably wait to trim the roots or do any wiring with it till it kinda has time to recover? And when trimming roots I've read 1/3 of the roots is ok less dead or mushy.. Plus I live in Wisconsin, is climate ok for the juniper in summer?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I should probably wait to trim the roots or do any wiring with it till it kinda has time to recover? And when trimming roots I've read 1/3 of the roots is ok less dead or mushy.. Plus I live in Wisconsin, is climate ok for the juniper in summer?
Root work should be done in spring. This is the wrong time of the year for it. Keep it in full sun, as long as you water regularly, and it should be fine.

Ecko

Seedling
Reaction score
Root work should be done in spring. This is the wrong time of the year for it. Keep it in full sun, as long as you water regularly, and it should be fine.
Thank you very much

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You work on roots and trim the plant when it needs it, and in the right season. This plant will not need a repotting for a long time. And yes. Only when it is fully healthy because repotting takes a lot of effort for a plant.

Ecko

Seedling
Reaction score
This is one of them that was likely dead at purchase.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
I bought it from a so called reputable bonsai business and it seemed to be shipped carefully the way it was packed. But dunno I take good care of my plants and I have been told its kinda better to abuse junipers rather than baby them. But not knowing a hole lot about junipers yet it could as well had a head start of the death grip before I got it..

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought it from a so called reputable bonsai business and it seemed to be shipped carefully the way it was packed. But dunno I take good care of my plants and I have been told its kinda better to abuse junipers rather than baby them. But not knowing a hole lot about junipers yet it could as well had a head start of the death grip before I got it..
I feel people way too often blame the seller. More likely, you did not keep it outdoors and the dry air indoors and other care-challenges were the end of this one.

Ecko

Seedling
Reaction score
I feel people way too often blame the seller. More likely, you did not keep it outdoors and the dry air indoors and other care-challenges were the end of this one.
Didn't really blame the seller hence why I didn't name drop, and like I said I'm new to juniper trees. I had it indoors 4 days constantly misting it with big humidity tray. Didn't know was supposed to be strictly outdoors Cruz when I bought from them said indoor juniper bonsai tree found out few days after I noticed it losing the softness of the needles, so I read up lil more on them and asked on here. Nice to have legit people trying to help..

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just found a wicked couple half price junipers at the depot.
$5 each!

Go Nuts!

Sorce

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Didn't really blame the seller hence why I didn't name drop, and like I said I'm new to juniper trees. I had it indoors 4 days constantly misting it with big humidity tray. Didn't know was supposed to be strictly outdoors Cruz when I bought from them said indoor juniper bonsai tree found out few days after I noticed it losing the softness of the needles, so I read up lil more on them and asked on here. Nice to have legit people trying to help..
there is no such thing as an indoor juniper bonsai. Anyone telling you that is not a reputable bonsai vendor

Ecko

Seedling
Reaction score
Oh lol yeah I live in Wisconsin, it's hard to find places that carry any type of bonsai species, once in a great while there's a higher end garden store with some but not often.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You dont have Home Depot in Wisconsin. I find that hard to believe. Look in the landscape section. They wont be labelled Bonsai but that doesnt mean you cant make them into bonsai.

Check Lowes too

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh lol yeah I live in Wisconsin, it's hard to find places that carry any type of bonsai species, once in a great while there's a higher end garden store with some but not often.
There are no "bonsai species", but trees that can be trained as bonsai. Instead of looking for those marked as "bonsai" do what many of us do: select standard nursery material and try to train it as bonsai. It will be cheaper and you will find that the material is way more abundant where you live than you think. Good luck!

Top Bottom