New world bonsai starters

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have a Dawn redwood and trident maple coming in the mail from new world bonsai. They each look to be about 3-4 years old (probably 1.5cm at thickest point in trunk.

question is with trees this young what steps should I be taking in fall to ensure they survive winter? also will I need a cold shelter for them in 8a? I have a makeshift container made of old windows and1x6s

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a Dawn redwood and trident maple coming in the mail from new world bonsai. They each look to be about 3-4 years old (probably 1.5cm at thickest point in trunk.

question is with trees this young what steps should I be taking in fall to ensure they survive winter? also will I need a cold shelter for them in 8a? I have a makeshift container made of old windows and1x6s

I only protect the pot/roots with bubble-plastic, cardboard, mulch.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Trident in 8A? Plant. Protect from sun and wind when frozen. Thats all I do.

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Finally came in the mail! (Ignore the mugo and willow in the third pic) They weren’t potted so I used the last of my Jack’s organic bonsai soil I had mixed with about 3to 1 with half pearlite and half potting soil since I didn’t have enough bonsai soil for both pots. Teased the roots SLIGHTLY, to undo the compaction from being wrapped up. Based on the size of the root ball there should be space for them to grow and get healthy until spring.

any suggestions on after care until I get to the winter suggestions above? Fertilize or not? Full or morning sun etc. dawn redwood and trident maple!

Attachments

• B2AA573E-4DA0-4E9F-84B9-E163F232582F.jpeg
    B2AA573E-4DA0-4E9F-84B9-E163F232582F.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 41
  • D860BB42-A760-4D92-B53B-DA32984CE0A6.jpeg
    D860BB42-A760-4D92-B53B-DA32984CE0A6.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 839722AA-FF9C-4354-99F7-2A6E9B20C72F.jpeg
    839722AA-FF9C-4354-99F7-2A6E9B20C72F.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 48
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Don't fertilize yet. You don't know if they were fertilized just before shipping. I'd leave them out in the sun and they can probably winter outside too.

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Don't fertilize yet. You don't know if they were fertilized just before shipping. I'd leave them out in the sun and they can probably winter outside too.
I’ve heard the seller is very responsive to inquiries, so I may just reach out and ask him about fertilizing!

squambled

Seed
Reaction score
I'd just leave them outside. I winter dawn redwood outside, just setting pot on the ground and I am in zone 5b. Trident treat the same. You are in SC, so you should be fine.
Interesting, I thought that might be a little too cold for them. Are yours in deep training pots or anything that might help insulate them? I live in an apartment where I keep the trees in the backyard, so I was thinking of burying the pot in mulch in my parents yard for the winter lol. Maybe that’s overkill. I’m zone 6a

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@squambled - For Metasequoia - burying the pot to the rim in your parent's garden is probably safer than just setting the pot on the ground. Not much difference between zone 6a and 5b.

Note: in South Carolina, the OP's location, trident maples are fully hardy. In zone 5b I do not grow trident maples, they are not reliably hardy in zone 5b. They leaf out too rapidly and too early in spring, Tridents always get damaged by late spring frosts in zone 5b.

Metasequoia is hardy just set on the ground in 5b, or at least so far. I might be personally pushing close to the limit. Mulched in for winter in zone 6a and 5b is probably safer. They are proving quite hardy when planted in the ground.

Instead of growing Trident maples, in zone 5b I grow Amur maples, Acer ginnala, also known as Acer tatarica var ginnala. It seems fully winter hardy. I've never provided any protection beyond setting the pot on the ground. They do not leaf out too early, they wait until the worst danger of late spring frost has passed.

Top Bottom