New yamadori pine

Jan Olav

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went collecting some pines for the first time in 2008. Me and my friend had a great time digging and wrapping pines. I did not have a good time the day after! The trees where HEAVY. The rootball was soaked and I collected the entire thing. I only had to cut some minor roots, everything else was in the bag. This tree is 120 cm (48") tall. 18 cm (7") trunk. The bark is really deep and gnarly so this is an OLD tree. I figure I can just leave it for a couple of years and then fit it in a nice pot and voila. Mother nature sure did a good job while it was "in the field".
This winter I have been looking at a lot of penjing plantings and I really enjoy the natural feeling of it. I guess that this tree in a bathtub with the odd rock next to it would do the trick? :)

Attachments

• Pine+120cm.jpg
    Pine+120cm.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 117
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice tree. Did you say this was the first pine you have every collected?

Will

Jan Olav

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
NO, just bad english. The first yamadori pine of 2008. better? :eek:
That would be something! My first pine did NOT look like this one. :D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is good to hear.

Just out of curiosity, is that first pine still alive?

Nice find!

Will

Jan Olav

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually it is, but it is not a pretty sight. It is a small stick but with nice bark.
I am glad my stick in a pot period was short.
I love these fat old pines. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went collecting some pines for the first time in 2008. Me and my friend had a great time digging and wrapping pines. I did not have a good time the day after! The trees where HEAVY. The rootball was soaked and I collected the entire thing. I only had to cut some minor roots, everything else was in the bag. This tree is 120 cm (48") tall. 18 cm (7") trunk. The bark is really deep and gnarly so this is an OLD tree. I figure I can just leave it for a couple of years and then fit it in a nice pot and voila. Mother nature sure did a good job while it was "in the field".
This winter I have been looking at a lot of penjing plantings and I really enjoy the natural feeling of it. I guess that this tree in a bathtub with the odd rock next to it would do the trick? :)

That is a large tree, Jan, and a beautiful one. Thanks for posting it. Its size is almost prohibitive. When speaking of the really big trees, my wife typically asks a probing question, "What's the point?" I guess she has a point when the tree requires two big men to move it.

Jan Olav

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your wife has a good point. I think that this tree borders to be a garden tree, but not quite. I figure that the final height will be around 1 meter. Still within the acceptable size for my wife. :p
And I carried it off the mountain and stuck it in the pot myself. So, it is a one man tree. :D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah, but what if the strain unmans you? LOL Of course once styling is finished and root work done, it will most likely be a much easier tree to handle.

Jan Olav

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Without that bog of a rootball it will be a piece of cake. We don`t have winters where I live anymore, just rain. Ok in a way but strange. I have never collected pine this early before, but it is time. The buds are swelling and fresh. My maple is pushing new growth so I had to repot yesterday and my hawthorns are definitely out of dormacy.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice hunk of material. If you ever get tired of it I live at....

ummmmmmmmmmm the vision I have for that tree, penjing of course.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Pretty good tree.... reminded me instantly of the flat top bald cypress in the Southern US.

Keep us posted on its future...

Jason

Reaction score
Pretty good tree.... reminded me instantly of the flat top bald cypress in the Southern US.

Keep us posted on its future...

Jason

i agree
i thought of the same thing also.
and also reminded me a monterrey cypress tree i've seen some where on one of the calif. bonsai sites.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I really like this tree - it generates a strong emotional response. The great taper, the branch structure, and the small needles give the tree an appearance of great strength and age. Do you know what species of pine this is?

Jan Olav

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The pines growing over here are scots pines, pinus sylvestris. Tough, hardy and great to work with.:)

Top Bottom