New Years Thoughts and Plans

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a new addiction now. Not bonsai or football. I am addicted to Dexter from Showtime. Haunted by his tortured past, Dexter's activities include filling up the ocean buttom with body parts, a by-product of his serial killer addiction. Happy New Year bonsai nuthouse! Also I am building a Japanese bridge out of wood......very tricky carpentry drill. All the wood has to be kerfed and glued to shape. Those Japanese are really something.

Take pictures of your work! Especially if you feel up to taking "in progress" shots. I would love to see them. I made a small bridge over my koi pond, but it was primarily functional, and had to fit with the style of an attached deck. Show us some choice woodwork!

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
[Best Wishes for Real Bonsai in 2009 and beyond

Mark[/QUOTE]
Mark how about instead of attacking another member here who gave his thoughts on Bonsai and what he had achieved, you do the same and stop sniping at the folks here!
Irene

Last edited:

Mark

Mame
Reaction score

On the web I came across amazing arrogant people that tried to force feed there old school dogma's and narrow minded views down our throat, this are mostly people with not a single decent Bonsai to there name! And some of these have the idea that they own the only real key to Bonsai because the have worked in Japan. They act if there exists no worth wile Bonsai out side there Japanese Bonsai tunnel vision view, like we are not even there, no matter how successful we are in our Bonsai! Their endless BS about the true spirit and art of Bonsai made me itch and very upset! But the blackest page in my personal last year Bonsai misery, was when there was a obvious case of miss or foul judging in a big online Bonsai contest. And when I tried to debate and discus this, by asking a explanation for all the people that were so upset, it was turned around in my face, in the form of a lesson in real Bonsai art and spirit, that we lesser souls would and could just never understand! And even up to today, they (arrogantly) did not bother to give a decent explanation to anybody who asked fore this in dis belief! They have no idea how much the credibility, that the American Bonsai scene deserves, was damaged by the ego of these no it all's! It made me decide to not post again or join in again in any of these competitions, such a shame!

Hams van Meer.

Irene,
I responded to this. Was this the kind of thing you hoped to inspire? If not, I will apologize and delete my response. If it was the type of thing you were hoping for my response will stand. Perhaps your friendship will prevent you from answering truthfully. I can not fault your loyalty. Friends and individuals I respect deeply have been attacked without merit and with false claims. This will never go unchallenged. It is a shame his second post was edited, it exposed what he really is about.

Mark

Marc S

Yamadori
Reaction score
I saw a Pinus and a Taxus created by Hans at the 2007 Ginkgo Award. They were beautiful bonsai!

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I never hope to inspire anything but the good from anyone and am thankful for each who takes the time to post their thoughts and what they have achieved. I respect the works of Hans and admire how he works the trees and takes the time to post in another language. For that I will always respect him. English is not an easy language to learn.
I would prefer your comments to focus on what you have achieved this year. If we all just stick to Bonsai and remove petty picking and bickering we can make this site and any others that we go to a better learning area for those who follow. I can not nor will I ask you to remove what you have posted, that is up to you, no different than asking Hans to concentrate of what he has achieved and remove his posting. We each are individual persons with the passion of Bonsai in us.
Irene

Last edited:

Marc S

Yamadori
Reaction score
Irene,
I responded to this. Was this the kind of thing you hoped to inspire? If not, I will apologize and delete my response. If it was the type of thing you were hoping for my response will stand. Perhaps your friendship will prevent you from answering truthfully. I can not fault your loyalty. Friends and individuals I respect deeply have been attacked without merit and with false claims. This will never go unchallenged. It is a shame his second post was edited, it exposed what he really is about.

Mark

It would be more interesting, bonsai wise, to explain why you don't like his bonsai.

Hartscape

Seed
Reaction score
I'm new to Bonsai and new to this forum. I an like a sponge, learning so much information from the members here and at other forums.
I don't have a tree yet, but have my eye on a few Ponderosa pines in a local pasture.
I also have a couple Chamaecyparus obtusa I purchased for a customer of mine, but unfortunately he passed away before I could plant them.
I'm thinking of planting them in the ground to grow them. Not sure if they will make good Bonsai, but gives me something to work on in these tight times.

Happy New Year to all.

Tom

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Okay.........so anybody have any big plans???

I'm doing a lot of airlayers on a big maple that I bought last year, and I'm also putting about 12 Trident seedlings in the ground to grow out. I've got several good Virginia Pines that I'm going to collect. I've got three in boxes now and they're doing fine. I'm still trying to figure out a convincing style for this species as the needles aren't as dense as JBP, but it's what I have locally and I can get good ones higher up in the mountains here. I'm also collecting a big Yew from my parents house (relandscaping) and developing another that I purchased last year. Looking to collect some elms around my parents pond also.

Just thought I would get this one back on track, because it's interesting to see what everyone's up too.

Hans van Meer

Yamadori
Reaction score
Irene,

Mark

Yes it is a shame that my response to your attack was deleted, because I still stand by those words, especially after reading the above Quote! Witch friends of you have I attacked with false claims in my first post that offended you so much? Oh, and in real live I am much worse. I am a on civilised fat bastard from a strange country were every body walks on wooden shoes! I have no knowledge of Japanese tradition or have any Art education. Not much education at all to be honest. I am just a man from the street, who thought himself, in 20 years, to style a small tree in a pot, so it must kill you that I seam to do that pretty well! And that my friend is such a warm feeling!:D

Mark you offended me deeply with out any provocation from me to you. You don't really know me from Adam, but still you provoked me, like I had kicked your dog or something! If you would read back my posts on any Bonsai forum, you would know that I don't really ever loose my temper, but you managed to get me really upset! So upset that they needed to remove my defence to your insults! So you must be a proud and satisfied man now?
So you win this fight my talented Bonsai friend, I am out of here!
CU LATER,
Hans van Meer.

Picture: in your face!:p

Attachments

• november-2008-104-hans-van-meer 77.jpg
    november-2008-104-hans-van-meer 77.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a new addiction now. . I am addicted to Dexter from Showtime. .

Ditto Kong,
also addicted to 'True Blood' on HBO.

Still crying over loss of 'Deadwood'!!:mad: ( Reminded me of my old 'Navy language'!) :)

Here's a couple shots of my rebuilt bridge a couple years ago after a tree fell on my old bridge . The tree was stopped from destroying the tea house by the old bridge ( and a big, VERY OLD, hollow flat top BC next to the bridge that was shoved all the way through the bottom of its pot! ) :(
The bent rails were a challenge for my rebuild friend who was working with insurance money.

d.

Attachments

• G18 New Bridge with Larry Hart.jpg
    G18 New Bridge with Larry Hart.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 18
  • G19 NewBridge.jpg
    G19 NewBridge.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 16
  • g8.JPG
    g8.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 17

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Yes it is a shame that my response to your attack was deleted, because I still stand by those words, especially after reading the above Quote! Witch friends of you have I attacked with false claims in my first post that offended you so much? Oh, and in real live I am much worse. I am a on civilised fat bastard from a strange country were every body walks on wooden shoes! I have no knowledge of Japanese tradition or have any Art education. Not much education at all to be honest. I am just a man from the street, who thought himself, in 20 years, to style a small tree in a pot, so it must kill you that I seam to do that pretty well! And that my friend is such a warm feeling!:D

Mark you offended me deeply with out any provocation from me to you. You don't really know me from Adam, but still you provoked me, like I had kicked your dog or something! If you would read back my posts on any Bonsai forum, you would know that I don't really ever loose my temper, but you managed to get me really upset! So upset that they needed to remove my defence to your insults! So you must be a proud and satisfied man now?
So you win this fight my talented Bonsai friend, I am out of here!
CU LATER,
Hans van Meer.

Picture: in your face!:p

Hans why do you tell this?
This is not how I know you to be.
Irene

bickerto

Seed
Reaction score
New Years Resolution
This year I plan to dig up the material I have been geocaching over the last year and a half. That should yield 5-7 pieces of material. Couldn't do it last year as I was recovering from rotator cuff surgery

Top Bottom