New Zealand Christmas tree first styling

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This New Zealand Christmas tree (Pohutukawa, Metrosideros excelsa) was given structural pruning today. Will repot in summer after flowering or about that time if it doesn’t.
This is before pruning-

5C29A9D5-E13B-4EB0-8539-663B0C2BB7C8.jpeg

after major branch chop-

8BFA0B1E-3148-42C0-8123-F32E4BB8A9B8.jpeg

after minor branch pruning (needed because of a potential reverse taper in the area, there is a branch and can replace this one) -

943E527F-6596-452E-951F-C26EDB86EC24.jpeg

Nebari -

0D34FB88-3C15-484E-8CCC-47BA4F3E447F.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Pohutakawa are very good at buds from older wood so if you do need to cut back further it will respond.
I actually like the left leaning design so I would not be in a hurry to grow replacement branches on the left side but everyone will see design different. Final tree is totally up to you and the tree.

You also have some aerial roots starting. Not sure if I actually like the aerial roots on pohutakawa but they are perfectly natural so why not.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is your tree mature enough to flower yet? I started several from seed five years ago. The trunks are thickening nicely but they don't show any indication of flowering yet.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Is your tree mature enough to flower yet? I started several from seed five years ago. The trunks are thickening nicely but they don't show any indication of flowering yet.
Hi, I’m not sure how old the tree is nor do I know if this has started flowering. The trunk was pretty thick as I got it from the nursery (shown in the image below). My guess is that it is at least a decade old. I should have tried to count the annual rings to get an approximate age after I made the big trunk chop, now it has cut paste on it. I think I like the movement on the trunk and I hope I can make it into a bonsai. I will leave flowering up to the tree.
FE4EF8AD-3FAD-4C3B-8060-4AA77FA70BA4.jpeg75CF6B3B-8A58-4836-B1A9-879978751D08.jpeg

Last edited:

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
Information for you guys in California about our amazing Pohutukawa is quite simple.
They need to get to approximately 15 years or more. After that and adulthood, their foliage goes from shiny green to a non-gloss gray/green with hairy underside to their leaves, that’s the important distinction.
They will flower eventually, but another way and probably more fun is to take cuttings of the mature foliage, semi-hardwood after the longest day, and hormone is helpful. Then they flower straight away.
I don’t know whether this will happen for you guys, but the flowering has been a bit weak for the last few years and a MAST year is going to take place this Summer (Xmas), as these brainy species need 3 consecutive years of warm Summers etc to flower prolifically. Also said to be natures way of setting a good seed harvest and a repopulate each species (loads of them follow this system). If all makes sense, trivia really.
Anyway, good luck and I hope they eventually flower for you.
Charles

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Pohutakawa are very good at buds from older wood so if you do need to cut back further it will respond.
I actually like the left leaning design so I would not be in a hurry to grow replacement branches on the left side but everyone will see design different. Final tree is totally up to you and the tree.

You also have some aerial roots starting. Not sure if I actually like the aerial roots on pohutakawa but they are perfectly natural so why not.
Thank you, Neil.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi,
Information for you guys in California about our amazing Pohutukawa is quite simple.
They need to get to approximately 15 years or more. After that and adulthood, their foliage goes from shiny green to a non-gloss gray/green with hairy underside to their leaves, that’s the important distinction.
They will flower eventually, but another way and probably more fun is to take cuttings of the mature foliage, semi-hardwood after the longest day, and hormone is helpful. Then they flower straight away.
I don’t know whether this will happen for you guys, but the flowering has been a bit weak for the last few years and a MAST year is going to take place this Summer (Xmas), as these brainy species need 3 consecutive years of warm Summers etc to flower prolifically. Also said to be natures way of setting a good seed harvest and a repopulate each species (loads of them follow this system). If all makes sense, trivia really.
Anyway, good luck and I hope they eventually flower for you.
Charles
Thank you, Charles. It’s interesting you talk about adult foliage with hairy leaves, the tree has both juvenile and adult foliage then.

F01305B2-198F-47D7-9C95-E17EDC70A5A3.jpegE88AB7F8-2F93-4B4B-AC97-BC7C07051A1D.jpeg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting tree. First time I’ve seen one of these.

Top Bottom