New Zealand tea tree repotting

tinyzigzag

Seedling
Reaction score
So I realise this is the “forbidden” bonsai haha. I have one that I managed to keep alive all winter indoors! 2 days ago I decided to repot it. Into a shallower pot. This means messing with the roots… I didn’t cut any off, but did remove a decent amount of dirt to spread the roots out more, and it would’ve lost a very small amount just from that. For those of you who’ve had them, you can probably relate to how I’m feeling right now lol.

My question for those that have had them is, how soon would I be able to tell if I killed it? If it was dead, would everything be brown already, or could there be a lot of green still? There’s some browning at the tips of a few branches but I can’t tell if the parts that are green are dried out & dead already or still hanging on… D6B36AFC-A456-4598-B6C8-976EACBDA16B.jpeg0D2B09F2-8FBB-45DB-AC14-33F71BB8F99A.jpeg4DC5900E-C309-4CD0-83E3-CE668C02C1ED.jpeg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fantastic. Hmmmm…first time I’ve seen a Tea Tree. I wonder if this tree is related to Tea Tree Oil trees/bushes.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I wonder if this tree is related to Tea Tree Oil trees/bushes.
Tea trees are genus Leptospermum
Tea tree oil comes from Melaleuca alternifolia. Not sure why it's called tea tree oil. maybe paper bark oil doesn't sound so good?

So I realise this is the “forbidden” bonsai haha. I have one that I managed to keep alive all winter indoors! 2 days ago I decided to repot it. Into a shallower pot. This means messing with the roots… I didn’t cut any off, but did remove a decent amount of dirt to spread the roots out more, and it would’ve lost a very small amount just from that. For those of you who’ve had them, you can probably relate to how I’m feeling right now lol.
As you haven't cut many roots the tree should be fine. Leptospermum scoparium is a little more sensitive than many of the other species in that genus but can still be root pruned safely.
We have learned to repot leptospermum later in spring. They do not recover well when root pruned in cool weather but do better after the same root prune later in spring and into summer, especially if the top is actively growing at the time.

Good luck with your little tea tree.

tinyzigzag

Seedling
Reaction score
Tea trees are genus Leptospermum
Tea tree oil comes from Melaleuca alternifolia. Not sure why it's called tea tree oil. maybe paper bark oil doesn't sound so good?

As you haven't cut many roots the tree should be fine. Leptospermum scoparium is a little more sensitive than many of the other species in that genus but can still be root pruned safely.
We have learned to repot leptospermum later in spring. They do not recover well when root pruned in cool weather but do better after the same root prune later in spring and into summer, especially if the top is actively growing at the time.

Good luck with your little tea tree.
Good to know! I’m glad mine did okay since it’s only April. I repotted mine when it was mostly done flowering and had recently been growing new leaves, though it wasn’t currently when I repotted. I think mine had an early spring since it already flowered, unless they normally do this early? And I didn’t remove any roots except those lost when I used my hands to comb out about half or more of the soil. How much of the roots do you think it’s safe to remove at a time when repotting? I’ve read you can only do a couple small snips at a time haha.

tinyzigzag

Seedling
Reaction score
6F157F6A-4822-4491-B6C8-267D53E44ACC.jpeg
Here’s a picture of the front and back of my tea tree for those who are curious- I just love the branching, it’s why I was so anxious about maybe having killed it! I’ve read not to wire or prune at the same time as repotting, so I’m looking forward to seeing some new growth so I can finally start styling it. E08F3541-7517-4231-827A-86850EC3A447.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The reputation is way overboard IMHO, probably the result of people following typical timing for bonsai. For many years we were told that no Australian species could tolerate bonsai techniques and they do die when root pruned in the typical winter/spring window. Fortunately some die hard growers persisted, trying different approaches and found that there's no problem if we avoid cold weather repotting. That has opened up a huge untapped list of species suitable for bonsai.
Much depends on time of year, age and health of the tree, etc but I typically take off 1/2 of the roots at most repots. Most deaths probably result from follow up care. Trees must not dry out in the weeks after repot until new roots start. After that overwatering can be a problem with many Aussie species as many are adapted to drier conditions.

The advice to avoid wiring after pruning is general and applies to most trees, the point being not to rock the tree in the pot while tender new roots are emerging so wire before repotting or wait a month or 2 after.

tinyzigzag

Seedling
Reaction score
Update, pretty sure it’s dead :( I kept up with watering but I think I accidentally exposed it to a bit of nighttime temps in the 50’s before bringing it in, I’m guessing that’s what did it. So sad!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Update, pretty sure it’s dead :( I kept up with watering but I think I accidentally exposed it to a bit of nighttime temps in the 50’s before bringing it in, I’m guessing that’s what did it. So sad!

Lepto scoparium is not easy as bonsai so there could be multiple reasons for the demise but, from experience I'd be more likely to blame out of season repotting. These do far better when repotted much later in spring when weather is warm. Ideal time is when the tree is growing lots of new shoots.
I suspect that much of its reputation as difficult comes from those trying to force it into the traditional timing for temperate species.

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I tried a Tea tree a few years ago when I started mucking around and failed, I'm thinking grow from seed in a shallow pot from the start might be a go.
Got me a packet of McGregors Manuka I intend to sow this spring and try some different methods.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I tried a Tea tree a few years ago when I started mucking around and failed, I'm thinking grow from seed in a shallow pot from the start might be a go.
Got me a packet of McGregors Manuka I intend to sow this spring and try some different methods.

Leptospermum from seed is slow, especially early on but they can start to grow faster as they get a bit bigger. I would not buy Lepto seed. Seed is easy to harvest as most Leptos retain seed capsules for many years so can find mature seed on most trees any time of year. Fresh seed also germinates way better than seed that's been stored in unknown conditions in packets for who knows how many years.
Manuka is NZ native so probably more desirable for Kiwi growers but I've found many of the other Aussie species much more responsive to pruning and root pruning than L. scoparium.
Good luck with the Manuka trials. Always good to hear growers trying new ideas and methods to overcome perceived difficult species. Hope you will post any success or failures so we can all learn more.

Top Bottom