New Zelkova

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just purchased this tree yesterday, the picture is from the vendor site, tree has not shipped yet. From what I have read this should do good here in Alabama. I will move to some shade in the heat of summer, learned some hard lessons last year with some other deciduous on my deck. I want to keep the twin trunk and from reading it may be best to go with Broom Style. Any ideas or help with this tree will be appreciated, this is my first Zelkova.

Thanks,
Michael

Attachments

• zelkova.jpg
    zelkova.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 280

xghostx

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
if you have any question at all dont be afraid to ask don. Very knowledgable and gets back to you in a flash.

Last edited:

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
XGhostX, so you recognized the picture or did you take it?
I have been in contact with Don, just got some pictures of the tree from last spring. Don has been very helpful and as you say, replies in a Flash, look forward to working with him.
Michael

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
*knowledgeable*

I'm sorry but I just had to...even if it's just the internet :rolleyes:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Don's on the forum now, saw his name the other day...and also very helpful and knowledgable about the trees he sells. I have purchased a few from him and have been very pleased with the quality and Don's willingness to share information.

My zelkova in B'ham gets full sun until about late June, then shade until the heat breaks in late September. No leaf burn, no problems. One day, it may be a decent tree to show. Right now, it's still a few years away after a MAJOR trunk chop in '06, followed by some thread grafts in '08 that are VERY slow to commit!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
And...from the photo shown, you'll probably end up reducing the 2 main branches by about half...perpendicular cuts just as they're budding out, then let it grow like crazy all year. If you don't repot it this year, you should see 4' of extension growth in one season.

xghostx

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
XGhostX, so you recognized the picture or did you take it?
I have been in contact with Don, just got some pictures of the tree from last spring. Don has been very helpful and as you say, replies in a Flash, look forward to working with him.
Michael

You can spot a Gregory beach tree a mile away.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brian, thanks for the info. From the heat last year I realized most of my trees needed to get some shade around June just as you say for Bham. Some on the deck got afternoon shade but most did not, they did not die but it was a bad year. So I will stay with that plan for this tree. As for the cutting of the 2 main branches..?...I guess that is why I posted it to get ideas. It was listed as being in a squat pot for the past 3 years and could be moved to bonsai pot this spring. Being as new to this as I am, I was planning to pot it up in spring. I would be a bit apprehensive to do any major cutting, really just one thing at the time to make sure I don't kill it. If I were going to make the cuts it would be best to leave it in the grow pot? And how much growth would I see in this year..?...4'
Got a picture of yours to share?
Thanks,
Michael

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
3 years in that pot means you'll probably want to repot it this spring.

If you plant it in a bonsai pot, you won't get 4' of growth.

If you want to shorten the two main branches, repot it into another grow-pot and let it grow freely to get some good taper from the branches that will emerge from the cuts.

Hard to cut your own tree, but the first thing I noticed is that the main 2 branches off the trunk were too long, and that will ALWAYS be an issue if you don't address it. It might not seem like a problem now, but in 5 years you'll probably wish you did it back when you first got the tree. Then it's going to be REALLY hard to cut off all the growth you've painstakingly grown!

Mine is really bad right now, but it has potential that maybe only I can see! I cut it back from a 4' tall slant-style tree that never looked good. Ben Oki did the original styling back in the early 90s. When I cut it down to 18" stump, it also had no roots on the left side of the tree, hence the small pots. New growth never appeared on the right side above the halfway point on the trunk, so I thread-grafted branches in 2008, and they still haven't taken. Here is a progression over the last 4 years...

Attachments

• DSC04793.jpg
    DSC04793.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC04796.jpg
    DSC04796.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Zelkova 2007 (1).jpg
    Zelkova 2007 (1).jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 175
  • Zelkova 08 (6).jpg
    Zelkova 08 (6).jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Zelkova 09 (3).jpg
    Zelkova 09 (3).jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 160

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
And after it was cut back and wired a little for shape...and also an example of the direction I'm taking the tree...hopefully...

I will repot it into a bigger pot this spring and let it grow wild for another season. Hopefully next year I will be able to work toward ramification. It's been a much slower process that I thought it would take for a zelkova. Either this is an old tree, or they just don't grow as hard as I thought.

Attachments

• Zelkova 09 (4).jpg
    Zelkova 09 (4).jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 164
  • Zelkova Model.jpg
    Zelkova Model.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brain, thanks for the reply and sharing your pictures/progress.

quote "Hard to cut your own tree," Yep ! I have a few weeks before it will be time to re-pot, will see how things look then. I will need some help at that time if I am going to cut and will get with you about more details. Plan to pick up a pot when I go to Brussels Sale in March.
Thanks for all your Help!
Michael

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You should bring it in to one of our Saturday workshops at the BBG. We are meeting on Saturday 2/20, and will meet again on Saturday 3/13. I'll be happy to help you work on it. We usually start around 9 and go until early afternoon.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the invite Brian, my Saturdays are full most of the time. but I may try to work it in one of them. I will get with you for details if I see that I can make it.
Have A Great Day!
Michael

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
Sorry this is a little off-topic, but I was wondering, Bryan, if you could tell me how the bonsai community in Birmingham is? I am pretty certain I will be moving there in the fall.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quote: "Michael, how's that Celka?"

Thanks for asking Brian. I have not done anything with it yet. Last Saturday I spent most of the day doing some re-potting of a couple JR Maple and a C Elm and Trident Maple. All of these have small buds and really should have been re-potted last year. I know it may have been a bit early but did not want to chance missing again. At the time I thought I would be at Brussels this weekend so I did them, side thought, all of these were pretty much fully open this time last year. As for the Zelkova, it has not shown any buds or so I thought. When I was working on the other trees I took the Zelkova from under the carport into full sun light and could see some tiny buds starting. Since it came from up north maybe it is going to be a bit slower. I have decided to hold off on the cut for this year, I will put in bonsai pot and watch it. With my lack of experience I rather let a new (purchased) tree grow for a year without me doing something to stunt or kill it. As I said, my Brussels trip had to be canceled for now, but I will order the pot Saturday at the 20% off sale. Speaking of trips, Please let me know when your club will be have the show in Bham this year. I really enjoyed it and got a couple of nice trees, look forward to being there again.

Keep LOOkin Up!
Michael

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zelkova Update

I did not do the major cut this year. Just let it grow to see what it would do. I am pleased with the growth and shape it has done. I have to cut back new shoots everyday. It has done much better than the Tridents sitting close by.
Have A Great Day!
Michael

Attachments

• zelkova.jpg
    zelkova.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 59
Top Bottom