newb w/avocado bonsai questions

tonsoffun1989

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello all I would like to introduce myself, I'm new to this so please don't be hard on me. I have a little avocado plant that just didn't want to grow so I thought I'd turn it into a bonsai. I'm having a hard time finding finding info on avocado bonsai techniques so any advise on root reducing pruning and bending would be greatly appreciated. P.S. The plant is about 2 years old thanks everyone.View attachment 26353View attachment 26352

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I see the praying mantis is there for scale but what's with the soda can?
I would give it full sun and plant it in the ground and grow it up to full size and enjoy the fruit! I'm guessing this post isn't really serious, right? If it is then I have to tell you the leaves on avocado are really too large for bonsai and the internode distance is too long. I'd look into ficus if you like tropicals.
Ian

tonsoffun1989

Seedling
Reaction score
The can was more for scale the mantis was just another picture I had on my phone. I'm still getting used to the forum, please excuse my newbness. And I am very serious about turning it into a bonsai. I have started to pinch the top and so far it is starting to bush out. So if anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You cannot find bonsai info about avocado for a good reason.

It probably can be done but with a lot more effort (and frustration) than any of the regularly used plant variety. My advise....dispose it since presently, it has no good bonsai quality anyway. If you insist, good luck to you.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Yes the praying mantis is cool...
So if you really want to do it I would say you should shoot for a tree that would be larger than bonsai sized, say about 4-5 feet tall. That would give a reasonable look given leaf size. After that it's just regular bonsai technique. The most important part at a plants early development stage is horticulture. So that's figuring out where in your yard it gets the amount of sun it wants (for avocado that's full sun,) figuring out what type of soil fits with your climate (which you haven't told us,) and your watering schedule, et. For most container plants they want a fairly fast draining soil. Also keeping pests from going to town on your tree usually comes up...
That's a start anyway.
Welcome to the forum,
Ian

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If it doesn't want to grow, that is the first order of business, doing bonsai to a weak or ill plant can/will kill it, learn it's horticultural needs.

tonsoffun1989

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advise, and as far as is needs I have a good idea what they are I have a few avocado trees in the back yard that are happy and healthy. But this little one seems content being small.View attachment 26355 View attachment 26356 I have some pictures of the bushy growth from just topping the plant off.also I have a whole bunch of ants living in the pot they are always in the leaves Idk why any help is appreciated.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have ants because you also have aphids, alot of them. Ants "farm" aphids because aphids produce nectar as they suck juices from the plant. A good hard upwards spray from a garden hose on the affected leaves will dislodge most of the aphids...But you will have to watch the ants as they will replace the aphids over time, carrying them from other plants.<br><br>Providing your geographic location will help tremendously with getting advice on this species...

tonsoffun1989

Seedling
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot last post I livre in southern California inland empire.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Closer look shows scale, not aphids, but same thing...Scale produces similar stuff to aphids and ants farm the insects like cows.

tonsoffun1989

Seedling
Reaction score
How do I get rid of them? Could I pick them off then make sure the ants don't come back with chalk? And I heard that old washing machine great water works.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You should update your profile so your location is with your information on your posts... It'll help people help you.
You can also paint the scales with rubbing alcohol, but it can be a long project on a big tree, and you have to keep at it. This one may be small enough to deal with it.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
start with some soapy water to kill the scale or whatever.

then keep growing the tree for like ten or twenty years and show us the results!

really you are blazing your own trail so have fun

tonsoffun1989

Seedling
Reaction score
i hope to keep it small but not mini like most maybe a foot tall maybe a foot and a half max. but i will keep you guys updated. and by the way i took off all the scale by hand and cleaned it very gently with some gray water, moved it and have yet to see any more ants thanks guys. and i understand the whole trail blazing thing, but if worst comes to worse i can plant it in the ground and it will grow as nature intended it to. i still plan on some traditional bonsai but i love avocados i have about 7 growing right now and a few pits in the house still starting to split open.

Top Bottom