Newbie “set up”

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like a nice start with a good number of trees to learn from.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Nice looking benches. 2 things to be aware of with your new benches.
1. Try to remember to turn trees regularly. Light is stronger at the front and weaker at the rear where blocked by the slats so branches will be weaker at the back if not rotated regularly. Can be compounded depending on orientation to the sun.
2. Lower shelves have even less light. Shaded from the rear and from above. Use lower shelf for shade loving trees and developing stock that won't mind too much.

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice looking benches. 2 things to be aware of with your new benches.
1. Try to remember to turn trees regularly. Light is stronger at the front and weaker at the rear where blocked by the slats so branches will be weaker at the back if not rotated regularly. Can be compounded depending on orientation to the sun.
2. Lower shelves have even less light. Shaded from the rear and from above. Use lower shelf for shade loving trees and developing stock that won't mind too much.
For sure! I did think about a lot of those things already. I even learned from the forum about rotating the plants often.

I’m lucky to have the side with the most plants directly on the south west facing side. I get sun just about all day. I’m actually using the opposite side of the fence for most of my shade loving trees.

I made the benches very apart from each other vertically to allow as much possible sunlight in. So far I’ve been happy with the direct southwest facing side getting plenty of sun On the bottom benches. However I will need to continue to monitor.

Top Bottom