Newbie alert - do I water as soon as Bonsai arrives?

Pyjamas

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone! My first ever Bonsai arrived yesterday (a 16 year old Chinese Elm) from a Bonsai nursery. It’s my first one and I’ve called her Prunella (Pru) 🙂 I think she's beautiful!

I got her yesterday and was wondering if she needs watering already? I know the Bonsai nursery soaked her before sending so I don’t want to overdo it. The soil still looks quite dark and is damp (not wet). Any guidance much appreciated!

Pyjamas

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone! My first ever Bonsai arrived yesterday (a 16 year old Chinese Elm) from a Bonsai nursery. It’s my first one and I’ve called her Prunella (Pru) 🙂 I think she's beautiful!

I got her yesterday and was wondering if she needs watering already? I know the Bonsai nursery soaked her before sending so I don’t want to overdo it. The soil still looks quite dark and is damp (not wet). Any guidance much appreciated!

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If the top of the soil is still dark and damp, I would wait until it sits out a bit and the soil lightens up a tad. I wait until the soil gets lighter, a good indication you need to water. How big is the tree and pot?

Pyjamas

Seedling
Reaction score
If the top of the soil is still dark and damp, I would wait until it sits out a bit and the soil lightens up a tad. I wait until the soil gets lighter, a good indication you need to water. How big is the tree and pot?
Thank you! Yes I think I'll wait a bit - don't want to drown it with my newbie enthusiasm! The tree is 37cm and the pot is 26x20 cm

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That was one of my first mistakes. Over loving the tree with water. When you do water for the first time, I would watch to see how well the drainage is.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Where are you keeping the tree? What soil is it potted in?
Probably doesn't know what kind of soil unless the seller told them. That's why I said to watch drainage, because it could need a repot, or be in poor draining soil.

Pyjamas

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok so it’s in Akadama, and a pretty big pot based on your pic.

Will it always be kept inside or will you be moving it outside? It should ideally be outside.
I bought it to be kept inside to keep me company while I work ha ha (seller said it could be kept either indoors or outdoors). Will see how it does - if it starts looking unhappy I can try outside.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Take a chopstick or bamboo skewer and stick it in the soil. Pull it out to see if the soil is wet. If the stick is dry water it, if it is wet don’t water it. You may need to buy an LED plant light to keep it healthy indoors. I have a small one that I keep outdoors year round but these can be grown indoors if you are careful and do your homework. Peter Chan of Heron’s Bonsai down near Newchapel has a recent video on Youtube on these.

Pyjamas

Seedling
Reaction score
Take a chopstick or bamboo skewer and stick it in the soil. Pull it out to see if the soil is wet. If the stick is dry water it, if it is wet don’t water it. You may need to buy an LED plant light to keep it healthy indoors. I have a small one that I keep outdoors year round but these can be grown indoors if you are careful and do your homework. Peter Chan of Heron’s Bonsai down near Newchapel has a recent video on Youtube on these.

Thank you so much for the advice! And that video was so so helpful!

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Welcome! You’re lucky with your soil. Most Chinese elms come encrusted in an impenetrable brick of mud so at least you’ve got a better chance than most. I got my first one last year, which also came in Akadama so I have had no problems whatsoever.

Firstly, I keep mine outside year round. We had a mild winter but these will survive most of anything our winters can throw at it. They may survive indoors with careful treatment, but they will thrive outside, where they belong.

I got mine last July and because it was so hot the soil would change colour on top very quickly and drying out quickly meaning I was having to water twice a day, so I soaked it in the sink for a few minutes then brought it out to drain. This worked really well and it put on a heavy second growth spurt. There’s no need to be so heavy handed in the main though.

I have found that the surface is quite obvious when it starts to dry out and Akadama seems to have good wicking properties so if it is drying on top it’s unlikely to be very wet underneath, as long as the drainage is good.

It is particularly important not to overwater a tree (or any plant) indoors though as water will sit much easier where the wind and sun can’t get at it so be aware, but soaking and draining would be less messy indoors. I now just water mine with a shower garden hose once a day with the rest of the plants and it’s happy as Larry. Good luck.

Pyjamas

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome! You’re lucky with your soil. Most Chinese elms come encrusted in an impenetrable brick of mud so at least you’ve got a better chance than most. I got my first one last year, which also came in Akadama so I have had no problems whatsoever.

Firstly, I keep mine outside year round. We had a mild winter but these will survive most of anything our winters can throw at it. They may survive indoors with careful treatment, but they will thrive outside, where they belong.

I got mine last July and because it was so hot the soil would change colour on top very quickly and drying out quickly meaning I was having to water twice a day, so I soaked it in the sink for a few minutes then brought it out to drain. This worked really well and it put on a heavy second growth spurt. There’s no need to be so heavy handed in the main though.

I have found that the surface is quite obvious when it starts to dry out and Akadama seems to have good wicking properties so if it is drying on top it’s unlikely to be very wet underneath, as long as the drainage is good.

It is particularly important not to overwater a tree (or any plant) indoors though as water will sit much easier where the wind and sun can’t get at it so be aware, but soaking and draining would be less messy indoors. I now just water mine with a shower garden hose once a day with the rest of the plants and it’s happy as Larry. Good luck.

Thank you! So glad to hear that I lucked out with the soil :) I'm going to pay careful attention to how it does in its current position and change if needed. I may have been silly, but assumed if a bonsai seller was selling them as indoor bonsai that they would be ok indoors :( Was looking to bring a bit of nature to my office as I now spend my whole life in it during lockdown! Thanks so much for your advice and glad to hear your tree is doing well!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I like Prunella! Lol!

Sorce

Top Bottom