Newbie confession...I mutilated a Blue Rug Juniper

BonsaiKen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm new to Bonsai as a grower...I've spent several years and thousands of dollars buying bonsai trees, to use as a decoration, only to kill them one by one.

Overwatering, underwatering, too much sun, not enough sun, busy lifestyle, etc...

For years, I bought at least one new tree every year here at the Kansas State fair. Each year it was the same old man who sold them to me. He asked me how last years trees were doing, and being honest I had to tell him time after time that I had killed them. He was understanding and gave me advice so that the next one would live.

Finally, after maybe 7 years of this, the last time we spoke, he refused to sell me another tree! I was kind of shocked. Wasn't my money as good as anyone else's? What does he care if I kept it alive or threw it away on my way out of the building?

But he did care. And he wouldn't budge. He simply wouldn't sell me another tree.

---

My appreciation for bonsai has grown since those days, and I recently decided to try growing them myself, and really learn about them, the history, the culture, and to finally keep something alive...

Which brings me to today.

I watched a video where a man took a blue rug juniper, and turned it into bonsai material in one sitting.

Of course I was eager to try it, so I went to Walmart and bought one for $5.44.

Needless to say, it wasn't as easy as this master in the video (Peter Chan - Heron's Bonsai England) made it look...and it wasn't a pretty sight to behold.

I chopped off a few branches here and there like I saw in the videos...and then decided to just leave it alone so that it could live.

I've got a lot to learn and have decided to just dive in learning before I kill another tree. I Googled bonsai forum and joined here a few days back.

QUESTION: Some of the branches I cut off, had their own roots growing out of the sides of them...the branches are maybe as thick as a pencil. I put them in bonsai soil and in pots. Will they live???

I feel silly writing all of this out on a public forum, but I'm dedicated to making something of this hobby. I have nothing else going on and have hit some major roadblocks in life. I have all the time in the world. I would really love to have my own successful trees someday.

Thanks in advance for your understanding, and your help!
Ken

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The prunings probably don't have enough roots to survive, but you can always hope. There is nothing silly about your post. I like the little story and love the honesty. Stick with this group as there are some great people here.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The prunings probably don't have enough roots to survive, but you can always hope. There is nothing silly about your post. I like the little story and love the honesty. Stick with this group as there are some great people here.
Juniper cuttings with no roots, stuck in a pot of substrate that is kept damp and 'under the bench' will often grow roots. Once they show new growth, it is beneficial to put them in full sun, and they grow!!! Starting with a branch that already has some roots is just one step ahead in the propagation.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Even the tiniest root on a juniper branch will put it way ahead of a cutting so chances are that the pieces you have potted up could survive. They almost certainly would here.
Given your self confessed track record I'm reluctant to predict that they will survive.

Pictures are always a good starting point for advice because we can see often things that you may not be aware of or have forgotten to tell us about.
Good luck with keeping some trees alive. Note that advice on forums is varied and sometimes even conflicting but usually worthwhile.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you are close enough to Wichita, come to our club!
We meet at Hong's Nursery in the lunch room on the west side of the parking lot at 9:30 every 1st Saturday of the month.
We are not a very big group and mostly kind of new at this hobby. We won't laugh at your failures because we are all still killing trees!

BonsaiKen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you are close enough to Wichita, come to our club!
We meet at Hong's Nursery in the lunch room on the west side of the parking lot at 9:30 every 1st Saturday of the month.
We are not a very big group and mostly kind of new at this hobby. We won't laugh at your failures because we are all still killing trees!

Thanks James, I will do that! I'm in Hutchinson so not very far away at all. NEAT!

BonsaiKen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you all for the feedback!! I appreciate your time and energy here - I'm learning daily and see now that I'm in the right place to finally keep something alive :)

BonsaiKen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Even the tiniest root on a juniper branch will put it way ahead of a cutting so chances are that the pieces you have potted up could survive. They almost certainly would here.
Given your self confessed track record I'm reluctant to predict that they will survive.

Pictures are always a good starting point for advice because we can see often things that you may not be aware of or have forgotten to tell us about.
Good luck with keeping some trees alive. Note that advice on forums is varied and sometimes even conflicting but usually worthwhile.
hey that's an honest assessment based on my history, can't be mad at that! lol I'll do my best! Thank you!!

Top Bottom