Newbie From UK

Reaction score
Hi, I am relatively new to Bonsai and I am looking for help and advice on how to look after my 3 bonsai's They are all very different and I love them, though not sure how to proceed.

The first is a Dawn Redwood I have grown from seed. I had a kit gifted to me Christmas 2018 and of all the seeds planted Boxing Day, only the Dawn Redwood has survived and is now 2 1/2 years old. I know it looks dead, but trust me it isn't! It looses it's needles every year and if you look at the close ups photos, you can see the new buds. It is a late developer as it hasn't realised it isn't spring, but is summer already! (I think this is due to it living on the windowsill in my kitchen, I know it should really be outside, but unless it was under my nose every day, it wouldn't have got watered often enough and not have survived this long)

What I would like to know is where to go now? It has been in the large pot since May last year. I have read in my books that ideally it should be planted outside for some time, but I'm not sure I want to do that as I haven't much room in the garden to put it, one of the reasons I put it in a large pot.
20200630_194512.JPG 20200630_194638.JPG 20200630_194527.JPG 20200630_194630.JPG

The second is a Spruce (Picea Glauca 'Albertiana Conica') I purchased from a garden centre in 2018. I can't find a photo of what it was like before I 'attacked it'! but I pruned it and wired the branches after reading my books. I then left it in it's pot in a sheltered place in the garden until this weekend where I put it in the new pot you see in the photos. It is at an angle because of a large thick part of a root, but I quite like it and thought about training it so that it sort of curves back on itself like an 'S' sort of shape? Again advice and suggestions would be welcome.
20200630_194115.JPG 20200630_194139.JPG

The third is a bonsai I purchased this weekend from a garden centre. It is an Ilex Crenata. I like the shape of it, but would like some advise on what (if anything) should be done with it.
20200630_194209.JPG 20200630_194232.JPG 20200630_194253.JPG

I look forward to learning from you all.

Thanks

Caroline

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Enthused, guttural hollering in your general direction, traveler! Dip your roots in the waters that traverse the Tiny-Forest, stay a while.

Nice trees! I really think that spruce has a nice spread of options available to you.

I enjoy the trunkline of that Ilex, too. I don’t know much of them, referring to timing, technique, and recovery. If it were mine, i would find out when such a procedure us acceptable for that tree aaaand take the top off 😬 and the highest “tuft” below that removed top.. using the larger tuft ABOVE the lower branches serving as your new leader... but don’t necessarily listen to me.. as I’ve said.. i know nothing of the tree and am a “notable doofus”

😂😂😂

I also don’t know about the redwood... but SOMEone will, indeed. Sharing knowledge is what many here aim for... drink from it’s springs!

I will say... that, to ensure your trees health and vigor beyond roughly a season and a half (Maybe)... you WILL need to get them outdoors...it is an undeniable truth.. at least for THESE trees...

I killed three spruces that I bought/lived inside from September - April.. they just never fully recovered and slowly passed on... And I have a reasonably adequate indoor set-up.

There are trees that can “survive” indoors, I say “survive” and explain this in the most polite possible wat, because they DON’T prefer it.. even non-dormancy experiencing tropicals and sub-tropicals should IDEALLY only be “wintered” inside. (I understand climate doesn’t always allow it) :)

I wish these trees well! And want a healthy life for them!

So in that same, friendly, guiding voice, regarding THESE trees, “You gotta get ‘em outside”

:)

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Reaction score
Thank you for the lovely welcome HorseloverFat.

I am going to put all the trees out in the garden for the summer (or what's left of it!). The Spruce has lived outside anyway, I just brought it in when I re-potted it and to take some photos. They will be brought in for the winter.I am looking forward to seeing what can be done with the Spruce. I originally purchased it as a practice tree.

The Ilex- I also think something needs to be done with the top, but wasn't sure what or how.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The Ilex- I also think something needs to be done with the top, but wasn't sure what or how.

Hehe! You’ve heard what I’d do.. kinda drastic, but you have decide what you want FROM the tree..

The rest is just details/timing...

Perhaps this may help defining some care guidelines.

(My apologies If you already have used this resource)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome!

All of your trees should be outside year round. All of them are perfectly capable of dealing with your climate and then some. Bonsai ARE NOT houseplants. That is a common misconception among beginners. Trying to keep them inside is one of the most common mistakes beginners make. Indoor conditions require specialized attention that is out of the experience range of beginners. Humidity levels inside a home are roughly the same as the Mojave Desert (or any desert) Light levels inside approach those of caves. Temperate zone plants like yours are incapable of surviving for long in such conditions...

Top Bottom