newbie looking for all kinds of help

logan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I went to nursery looking for a shade tree for my yard and found this JM for sale for $18. I have an addiction to these trees and am growing some seedlings to try my hand in bonsai but the nursery owner told me this was an airlayer from a Benign Shichihenge he did a few years backhand I couldn't pass it up. My goal is to make this into a nice upright but everything I know is from the internet. I'd like to airlayer a few of the branches before I chop so I can grow a full sized tree. Planting in the ground is not an option since afternoon shade is a premium in my yard. Any advice would help. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20151025_173315.jpg
    20151025_173315.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 72

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
WHERE do you live? Pls edit your profile to tell us.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How thick is the trunk? You have more pictures?

logan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure how to edit my profile but I live in Northern California zone 9 where it gets very hot in the summer. The trunks about 2 and half inches across. It need to be fattened up so I was wondering if I could layer the top while trying to.grow out the bottom.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure how to edit my profile but I live in Northern California zone 9 where it gets very hot in the summer. The trunks about 2 and half inches across. It need to be fattened up so I was wondering if I could layer the top while trying to.grow out the bottom.

So you got some air layering knowledge on you. So it seems what you're saying is, the tree is 2-1/2" wide and the current layout is simply too big for you so you want to cut it down to size. Cutting it down to size will be too wasteful because why waste. Air layering is not as simple as it seems as it depends on when you do it. It's too late now since air layering is best done in the spring; however, this is strictly speaking on my zone 7. So you'll probably air layer and save the top for another day and start working on the bottom. How low do you plan on shortening it to? The lower you go, the fatter that 2-1/2" gets.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For a previous airlayer, which could produce great root starts.....
That current base isn't worth using. IMO and IYOFO. That's not Japanese.
IN YOUR OWN FUTURE OPINION!

I think a few new Airlayers , to get a good start is a good Idea.

I don't know maples too well, except I failed an airlayer. ....,

But even with the elms I am familiar with, I'd say start 4 to get one good start.

I'd imagine it more with maple.

Sorce

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Can you post a closer up pic of the bottom of the tree? My inclination would be to just chop it and call it a day. Why waste a season air layering something you could just buy for relatively cheap? The exception would be if those roots are unusable and you need to generate more.

If you want to grow it out more, air layering isn't going to speed that process up, it's just going to slow things down.

From that very far away picture, it looks like you have two main options:
  • Chop it in early spring and grow it out from there.
  • Wait another season or three to thicken up the trunk before the chop.
Chopping sooner will also slow down the process, but will result in back-budding and strengthening of the lower branches. You could then continue growing one of the remaining branches as a sacrifice over the next 2-3 seasons or so.

If you post a better pic we can give you better advice.

Good luck!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got over those goofy looking roots.
So did @Cadillactaste .

C'mon! Mike!

Sorce
This way if any layering goes on it should be ground layering. I would rather have no visible roots than goofy roots. You know that. I think I've voiced my dislike for those kind of roots before. Remember?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Remember?

I haven't got passed the Smallies yet!

I remember all the new stuff I need to remember, and the best funny stuff,but never opinions!

I'm with you.....ground layer.
But then we're at the same timish.

And I'd be back to Starting 4-6 a/l's to get one good one!

Man, my guy got me on quantity growing again!;)

Sorce

logan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you post a closer up pic of the bottom of the tree? My inclination would be to just chop it and call it a day. Why waste a season air layering something you could just buy for relatively cheap? The exception would be if those roots are unusable and you need to generate more.

If you want to grow it out more, air layering isn't going to speed that process up, it's just going to slow things down.

From that very far away picture, it looks like you have two main options:
  • Chop it in early spring and grow it out from there.
  • Wait another season or three to thicken up the trunk before the chop.
Chopping sooner will also slow down the process, but will result in back-budding and strengthening of the lower branches. You could then continue growing one of the remaining branches as a sacrifice over the next 2-3 seasons or so.

If you post a better pic we can give you better advice.

Good luck!

Music maker like I said i am a rookie and I should have been more clear on my intentions. Ill never be a master of bonsai and that is not my intentions, in reality i just truly love Jm's and id like to try to develope a few bonsai because I have quite a few larger ones and it seems to be a fun hobby. The reason I liked this tree so much is it was an air layer and every other JM in the nurseries around here are grafts. So I thought since time is not an issue i could layer this one and either keep the original trunk for a bonsai or one of the layers, and use the other for a larger tree for my yard. I live in Northern California where even large well esta lashed maples get burnt in the dead of summer so honestly I do t even know if its feasible to grow a rarer version of maple on its own roots. I appreciate all your advice. I really don't no squat about growing these trees

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Music maker like I said i am a rookie and I should have been more clear on my intentions. Ill never be a master of bonsai and that is not my intentions, in reality i just truly love Jm's and id like to try to develope a few bonsai because I have quite a few larger ones and it seems to be a fun hobby. The reason I liked this tree so much is it was an air layer and every other JM in the nurseries around here are grafts. So I thought since time is not an issue i could layer this one and either keep the original trunk for a bonsai or one of the layers, and use the other for a larger tree for my yard. I live in Northern California where even large well esta lashed maples get burnt in the dead of summer so honestly I do t even know if its feasible to grow a rarer version of maple on its own roots. I appreciate all your advice. I really don't no squat about growing these trees
Yes, I was assuming you were looking at the existing trunk as primary bonsai material, rather than the entire thing being a propagation project.

Did you have any specific questions then? Be sure to start your layers in the spring so you get the full growing season for them to develop roots.

logan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pool
Yes, I was assuming you were looking at the existing trunk as primary bonsai material, rather than the entire thing being a propagation project.

Did you have any specific questions then? Be sure to start your layers in the spring so you get the full growing season for them to develop roots.
My original plan was to use the existing trunk as my bonsai material because of the interesting roots on the one side and try to pass it off as a bonsai. Then I was thinking I would layer each one of the branches on the 2nd y of the main trunk which when the layers are done and removed that would be a chop in a sense and then I would have two layers to grow as a larger tree or bonsai in the future. If this is an acceptable option is the success rate for a layer better if I planted in the ground or can I leave it in the pot?

Top Bottom