Newbie Looking To Learn About Some Basics.

For a Beginner

• Japanese Red Maple

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Cypress

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Chinese Elm

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Pay attention To the Replies

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmm... I use my iPhone to browse this site. It doesn't show locations.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't wait to see the Elm!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Though somewhat off-topic, all you have to do is click on the poster's location (under their avitar) and Google Maps will open in a new tab showing, in this case, where Pittsburg, CA is. It even copes with NEGeorgia. :cool:

LOL I didn't know this :) Location is a custom user field that I created specifically for this web site. Awesome that this software knows to link it to Google maps!

ChiefArchiver

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
IMG_0548.JPG IMG_0549.JPG IMG_0550.JPG IMG_0552.JPG IMG_0554.JPG

Here it is o.o haha my tiny Elm.... it was 7$ might as well be a cutting haha. i will go and buy a 15-20$ bonsai with more to do with.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow! I didn't know that!

With my iPhone 6 Plus, the screen is large enough, I don't have to turn it sideways. So I never knew!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
My newbie advice: 1) Get enough material to keep you motivated. Nothing will kill the buzz faster than staring at a stump or twig for 6 months. 2) Immerse yourself in the hobby. Log on to BNut atleast once everyday. Sounds petty, but learning comes in little tid bits here and there. Problem is you never know they're there until you read it. Besides, ya may enjoy the personalities on here. 3) Join a local club! I joined several months ago. Good peeps and boy the hookups. 4) Devour the YT videos and Google 'bonsai' until you've seen every tree. This will give you inspiration and encouragment. 5) Find a running buddy! A mentor is better, but somehow find someone local that you can hang with. Motivation is easier found if someone is there with you. 6) Get out there and just do it! Scour the box stores, nurseries and and even wild nature. Take some time to admire nature. Take natural cues and apply them to what you would like to see in your trees. 7) Buys some wire- now. Wiring is fun and will give you time with your tree. Study your trees. Get a feel for their character. It will come if you stare at it long enough for enough days.

No wrongs in this hobby. It is your minds expression, nobody elses. Find it, embrace it and nurture it. It will grow...

Top Bottom