Newbie needing advice on first bonsai!

Aaron V

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Today I finally picked up my first bonsai tree which is a 7 year old Juniper (not sure the exact species) and it looks great! I have done a ton of research and it seems that the more I search, the more questions I have. Any advice on Juniper care helps a ton considering there isn't much of a community where I live. Some useful info to know might be that I live in a pretty mild climate with mild winters and hot summers. I have read that it is good to water the tree every two or three days when the soil gets dry. I still do not have a lot of information on fertilizer and winter care. I am not too concerned with pruning or wiring quite yet because I think I need to learn to keep the tree alive first. Since it is late October, I worry that with the cooler weather approaching, I will not properly prepare my tree. I have it set outside elevated about 3 feet underneath a patio on the south side of my house. The tree should get a few hours of direct sunlight a day from where it is at. I am not sure when it was last re-potted and I am worried it will die for any of the million reasons I have read about online. YouTube and articles definitely have me confused about placement outside in the winter and basic maintenance such as fertilizer/mulch are still a bit foreign to me as well. I know that there is a ton to learn and that planting is partially a trial and error, but any advice you guys could give would be fantastic. Its tough to come by people with experience here and I'm getting a little desperate. :)

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Initially, update your profile so people will know the region/zone you live in. A lot of the info you will get will need to be for YOUR region/zone not the broad sweeping generalized fluff. Welcome to our own particular flavor of crazy.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
welcome and relax You found bnut so you will get the help You need !

Junipers are tough trees so i wouldnt worry to much !

maybe post a picture from your tree helps too

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mild winters. They can take much worse than that. I know.
I keep mine mulched in on the north side of a shed outside all winter long.
Don't water on a schedule. Shove a wooden chopstick or skewer down into the soil for a dips tick. If it's wet when pulled out dont water the plant. If it's dry water. Ideally you want the soil to stay moist,don't let it dry out totally.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Junipers like full sun. All day. Every day.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like you are in a good path.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom