Newbie project - the Conker

Noo Noo

Seedling
Reaction score
Howdy all. After the great advice I've received on my mistreated black pine I'd appreciate advice on one o my other projects; a European Horse Chestnut or Conker tree.

I grew this from seed quite a few years ago now and I'm not planning anything major this spring / summer but want to start thinking ahead to next year and whether there is any prep work to do. Doing nothing is a serious option to further develop the trunk etc.

It's quite vigorous with the leaves being massive so helps of work on leaf size reduction way off in the future.
IMG_20220516_174429.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You can basically hack them back to wherever, so I'd go for a nice trunkline and go from there.

Do keep in mind the dieback, so maybe leave stubs instead of cutting something flush.

Noo Noo

Seedling
Reaction score
You can basically hack them back to wherever, so I'd go for a nice trunkline and go from there.

Do keep in mind the dieback, so maybe leave stubs instead of cutting something flush.
Thanks. One issue I do have with this tree is that so much of the growth, including lots of the new stuff grows from the top of the thicker part of the trunk. It has in the past created a really poor taper (reverse taper actually). I gave it a bit of corrective surgery last year and its recovered well. It looks like it's having another go at it doing it again though.

Benn

Seed
Reaction score
Howdy all. After the great advice I've received on my mistreated black pine I'd appreciate advice on one o my other projects; a European Horse Chestnut or Conker tree.

I grew this from seed quite a few years ago now and I'm not planning anything major this spring / summer but want to start thinking ahead to next year and whether there is any prep work to do. Doing nothing is a serious option to further develop the trunk etc.

It's quite vigorous with the leaves being massive so helps of work on leaf size reduction way off in the future.
View attachment 436634
I’m trying a similar project myself. I’ve had some success with reducing the leaf size by removing them as they become developed from spring until early summer. The ones that remain/come after this stop at roughly half size. I’ve been removing the centre buds and letting the side ones grow each time also. How well does this tree back bud? Ie if I was to do a major chop would it recover in areas that don’t currently have viable buds? If so what time of year would be best for this? Thanks :)

Top Bottom