Newbie Question about Dawn Redwood

njlime

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hello everyone. I have recently retired & decided to try Bonsai as a hobby. I purchased & am reviewing some training materials but have a couple of questions. I ordered & just today received a Dawn Redwood grove. Main tree is about 13" & (2) smaller ones are about 7-8". They have obviously lost their leaves for the winter. Can I simply leave them in my garage for the winter? It is insulated but unheated & we are in Nashville TN. Do I need to do anything other than occasional watering until Spring? Thank you.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just set them outside. I keep mine out all winter. If it gets really cold, set them on the ground and put a little mulch around the outside of the pot. It’ll be fine.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you open the menu in the top right where you avatar is and select "account details" you can add your nearest major city and your growing zone. That will help with advice like this. That information will become visible to the left of every post and you won't have to add it all the time.

I leave mine outdoors all winter...on dirt...not on concrete or a deck, etc...I do find I need to water them once in a while or they dry out too much. Often cold isn't as much of a problem as dehydration...especially if you live in an area with those dry northern winds!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I keep mine outside for the cold months as well. I dug holes in my garden and buried them up to the rim of the pot but I’ll be dealing with harder freezes than you will. In Tennessee you should be fine keeping them outside with relatively little protection.

If you put them against the southern wall of your home be mindful that the siding can radiate heat on sunny days. It likely won’t result in huge temperature variation, but still something to keep in mind during sunny stretches. @LittleDingus makes a good point about cold wind as well. I get more winter kill stemming from wind than cold. If you have hedgerows or something to act as a windbreak that wouldn’t be a terrible place for them.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm in the same climate as @Haines' Trees, I keep mine outside on the ground for winter. You should have no trouble in relatively mild Tennessee.

Late winter, but before leaves start you can to some light pruning and or wiring to shape the trees. Also repotting in early spring, before leaves leaf out is when these tasks are done. But you just got this forest or group planting, you might not have to repot in 2021, just saying so you have an idea of the calendar for tasks.

Pruning can be done pretty much anytime from late winter through late summer. Pretty normal to have 2 or 3 pruning sessions per year with dawn redwood. Late winter, late spring or early summer, and a final in late summer.

Top Bottom