Newbie Question: identify and care (pics attached)

Reaction score
I have recently purchased my first little bonsai.
I have always admired the diversity in how they can be pruned and shaped and felt a deep respect for bonsai tree owners .

I am really wanting to research what type of bonsai I aquired, so I can learn how to give it a prosperous, life. Any suggestions, on the best way to prune it's species, and also what it prefurs for Medium (as I don't particularly like the way it is planted /this container)

I really appreciate any insight.

Blessed be.

Attachments

• IMG_20221117_223412_025.jpg
    IMG_20221117_223412_025.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20221117_221800_549.jpg
    IMG_20221117_221800_549.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20221117_221039_023.jpg
    IMG_20221117_221039_023.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 35

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
For now, best advice is do nothing, wait until the spring. What you have there is a young juniper procumbens nana. It is an outside tree; it will die if you keep it indoors. Keep it outside, but protect if from the wind and the extremely cold temps. An unheated garage would be perfect if you have it. If not, put it in the ground, against a north wall of your house. While you wait for it to come back from dormancy in the spring, read. Use the search function in this site ans learn about your new tree and how to care for it. Hint: dont just rip off branches as it looks like you did. Sharp cuts are best. Watch some youtube videos and be patient. Patience is the name of the game! Best of lucks!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Believe this is prostrate Juniper....Procumbens nana. Others can provide better development advice other than 2 things: Make sure pot has drainage hole/holes in bottom and must live outside or will die. Please add location to profile for good advice. Much advice can be found in Juniper threads on BN. Just use search function upper Rt of page.

gjones_42

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have recently purchased my first little bonsai.
I have always admired the diversity in how they can be pruned and shaped and felt a deep respect for bonsai tree owners .

I am really wanting to research what type of bonsai I aquired, so I can learn how to give it a prosperous, life. Any suggestions, on the best way to prune it's species, and also what it prefurs for Medium (as I don't particularly like the way it is planted /this container)

I really appreciate any insight.

Blessed be.
I use this resource to ID plants whenever I stumble across something interesting or unknown. May work for you.

Top Bottom