newbie question

BigBill

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have seen several pics of trees that have areas that are extremely white.

I was wondering how this is done. Is it dead wood? I borrowed a pic from Dale Cochoy's website as this is one of the best examples that I could find. Hope that is okay Dale if not I apologize ahead of time.

TwinAnd.jpg

Last edited:

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I have seen several pics of trees that have areas that are extremely white.

I was wondering how this is done. Is it dead wood? I borrowed a pic from Dale Cochoy's website as this is one of the best examples that I could find. Hope that is okay Dale if not I apologize ahead of time.

TwinAnd.jpg

Yes it is.

BigBill

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks for the quick responce. How does he get the wood so white?

I get paid friday and I am gonna head to the bookstore. I deffinately have a ton of reading to do.

thanks again
Bill

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most people use lime sulfur to preserve and bleach the deadwood.

Personally I find the stark white distracting and unnatural, but that is most likely due to the fact that here in Michigan, wood does not beach white like it does in the desert, instead it takes on a light gray driftwood color.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lime sulfur turns the wood sickly yellow until it dries. Then it is stark white. I recommend cutting 50/50 with water and adding a couple drops of india ink to give it a bit of grey.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
bleach can be used as a substitute to lime sulfur as some people really hate the smell of it and the yellowish color it sometimes leaves behind

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responce. How does he get the wood so white?

I get paid friday and I am gonna head to the bookstore. I deffinately have a ton of reading to do.

thanks again
Bill

Check out the used books stores first!
Half priced books and others in your area.
Also Amazon.com has some used books as well.
Mom
Irene

Top Bottom