Newbie questions

ali.munir

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all. First a little background. My Name is Ali and i live in Pakistan (Lahore). I was first introduced to the amazing art of bonsai 15-16 years ago, through a book my uncle owned. At that time we have a very limited acess to the internet and i read all the material i can get my hands on, but never tried to actually put it to practice out of fear of not doing a good job.Then i got busy in life and never got the time to actually start in this hobby. Now, i think, i can manage to give some time to my dream of creating some beautiful bonsais and with your help and guidance i may be able to create something which i can feel proud one day. I want to use our local trees mostly as my stock. We have some very harah summers here where temps can rise upto (48 C) and some mild winters for 2/3 months. We have Autumn and spring too. Ill be using Ficus religiosa , our local pine, juniper and then add my collection time to time. I have acquired 2 pines and 3 junipers , but i have yet to decide on thier style. Also our nuseries have local names so i dont know what i have got. I can research on my plants, but can anyone ID them for me. Your help would be much appreciated.
Note : We usually have five needles pine , but the plants i got have three needles. Our local nurseries call them 'Chir pine'. Also, English is not my native language so please ignore any mistakes and do ask me to clearify anything if u get confused by my sentences.IMG_20170420_110450004.jpg IMG_20170420_110450004.jpg IMG_20170420_110656147.jpg IMG_20170420_110450004.jpg IMG_20170420_110656147.jpg IMG_20170420_110536194.jpg IMG_20170420_110505321.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty sure you are the first active member from Pakistan!

Very Cool!

Welcome to Crazy!!

That pine is in sand?

Local trees are the best!

Sorce

ali.munir

Seed
Reaction score
Pretty sure you are the first active member from Pakistan!

Very Cool!

Welcome to Crazy!!

That pine is in sand?

Local trees are the best!

Sorce
Thankyou for the reply. We have a very small bonsai society in Lahore, Pakistan. I just recently found it on facebook, but i have yet to talk to them. We usually have imported bonsai trees mainly from Thailand, but i dont want to call them 'Bonsai' and if i share the pics you wont either :).
No.I took the pics right before watering them thats why the soil looks sandy

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Welcome, I think the Chir pine is a Pinus roxburghii. Native to your area so that would make sense.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I hope u like literati, welcome to the forum!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site! Your English is excellent. In fact, it is better than many members here who suggest they speak it natively :)

When starting with young trees it is easy to get lost, particularly as a beginner. I would recommend you go out on the Internet and find photos of trees - either in native or as bonsai - that appeal to you. Given the thin trees you currently have, you might start by considering thin bonsai. That way you can start to get a visual idea of what you might want your first trees to look like.

4e9472251344b34d0ab8528a8ea9fb86.jpg

6-literati-finalists.jpg

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looking at your plants, i think you have to work very hard on these pine plants. You have to increase the ramification on these pines and reduce the needle size. It will be a challenge. I recommended to buy some more pine plants and start to train them, because you will learn many things from your mistakes and also many plants will die on this way. Any way good luck.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent to see another person started.

I would recommendthat before buying more trees, you connect to your local bonsai club. Sometimes there are members who can tell you exactly which hidden nurseries there are with trees suitable for bonsai, or they may even have too many plants themselves.
Goo slow on pines; They in general do not like it when worked too hard. So if you repot, wait several months / a year bofre serious wiring etc. untill you know what you are doing.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice.
خوش آمدید. میں پاکستان سے مقامی درختوں کو دیکھنے کے منتظر ہوں

Top Bottom