Newbie seeking nursery stock Juniper guidance.

Raptor001

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey guys, I have been lurking for some time now. I am ready to jump in the pool now! I have located two really nice ( In my opinion ) junipers at a local nursery that are potted in plastic pots. These are not small trees. They have nice thick trunks ( Maybe 2.5-3 inches ) I am interested in finding out the step by step on how not to kill them. I have always loved bonsai and had bought a fair share from stores that I quickly killed ( I was much younger ). From reading through the forums I see the error in my ways. So what do you guys suggest. I would obviously like to work with it asap but now I know that is not always possible.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
The only sure way for you to not kill them is leave them in the nursery. I don't think that is what you want though haha. Buy them and and leave them in the current pot and grow them them for the year or two as is and learn to keep them not just alive, but thriving. During this time, clean it up and figure out your game plan for the tree. Most of all research and read and do more research.

Oh yea, leave it outside is importantant.

Raptor001

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok... Thanks. I read somewhere I should keep it in the shade for a bit. Is this true ? Should I expose some of the roots to see what I am working with? Water everyday?

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Why did your reading material say leave it in the shade? What will exposing the roots tell you? Do you drink water every day even when you are not thirsty?

I am not trying to be obtuse or a jerk or anything else when I ask these questions. These are all questions you will need to learn the answers (each question will have multiple answers depending on the situation) too. I don't know where you are or your climate. How big is the pot in relation to the tree? What type of soil is the tree in? Etc etc.

For general info about trees, this is my go to site:

http://bonsai4me.com/species_guide.html

Read all the posts about junipers on Bonsai nut.

Use your Google fu

Ask the owner of the nursery about what the needs are for your area

Many ways to find the answers.

Most people on here are happy to help when you have shown you have done the leg work and have questions that are not easily answered by putting a little effort in. I have been in this hobby about seven years and I am only now starting to ask questions on a forum. I was able to find the answers on my own and I still do try to. I read almost every post and every link posted on this forum and have for at least the last year. I don't want to waste anyones time by asking unnecessary questions.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Someone floated a klinker in the pool!

Welcome to Crazy!

2?

I'd style the one you are more sure of a style on and leave it in that pot.

And only repot the other...
I may repot some Junipers this June's Waning moon.
Maybe July.

Pics!

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Raptor001

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the responses guys. I will definitely continue reading all I can . I live in southern New York . I kind of got thrown a curve ball as far as a timeline. I wasn't planning on taking a tree at this moment but the guy at the nursery basically gave them to me. We had some problems at the nursery when the guy dog them out the roots are growing through the pots and he cracked both pots getting them out. It was a real hack job. With all the exposed roots I got nervous and planted them both in the ground right away. I will try to get some pictures ASAP

Top Bottom