Newbie stubborness

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I build a house poorly for many years and continue doing so until I get old.......
Does it make me a professional builder?
If I build a house poorly and write a book advocating my techniques does it make me a professional builder?

My house has really become my own judge.
FWIW, the guy's name is Peter ChAn...He's been around quite a while.

😁

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
FWIW, the guy's name is Peter ChAn...He's been around quite a while.

😁
I know...
And.....
Show me a good tree of his .......

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah I thought you were setting up a hackling for me.
Because of the rock throwers.

What sucks most is the people with good teachers are the ones who cause so much shit because "only they are right".

There is more gold from the self taught.

I just hate contradictory information, and it is everywhere.

You can't hold such a strong stance on some things, when it is not the ONLY way to success.

You're right.

Gleam the gold for your own garden!

Sorce
No man is a perfect man; no gold is sufficiently bare.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know...
And.....
Peter-Chan-Ao97a.jpg

... what is that addage?

Can't judge a book by its cover?
Pretty trees = horticulture expert?
Ugly trees = unqualified/know-nothing?
Time in position = knowledge/ability?

Something like that.

Last edited:

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmmmm.
They grow like that here anyway...... next.

I have seen his trees. Not amazed by anything.
Don't like his techniques.

But all.things said. I am glad he helped to popularize the hobby. In that sense he's a business master.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No.

Sorce
Well, your post says otherwise.

I’m not against experimentation. After you have some fundamentals under your belt. But trying to do bonsai, on your own, with no guidance is a recipe for disaster.

First, learn the fundamentals. Keep your trees alive. Learn basic techniques. Learn how to create the basic styles.

Then, develop your own style. Go your own way. Kimura was once an apprentice learned how to style exactly as his master wanted him to do. Once he was on his own, THEN he was free to take bonsai in a new path. Without the fundamental training, however, he would never have succeeded.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know...
And.....

Ahem, let me step up onto the soapbox here. Take this rant FWIW and what you paid for it ;-)

Well, "good" is relative. He is self taught and began in the 1970's. Using your current scale of "good" is kind of unfair. Things have progressed tremendously since then. Dismissing his work--and some of it was pretty impactful at the time--I finally "got" trunk chops from one of his books--PRE-INTERNET. Its easy to look down at such things now with the resources available to you at the simple press of a button, but back in the 60's,- 70's, 80's and early 90's all of this stuff was NOT easy to find, much less find in a published book with photos.

Off my soapbox...His trees aren't really all that now when compared to the growing ranks of Japan-educated westerners moving into the general ranks. But it's best not to throw too many stones at the old guys...And FWIW, I've seen it becoming a bit fashionable to trash John Naka too...just sayin....

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ahem, let me step up onto the soapbox here. Take this rant FWIW and what you paid for it ;-)

Well, "good" is relative. He is self taught and began in the 1970's. Using your current scale of "good" is kind of unfair. Things have progressed tremendously since then. Dismissing his work--and some of it was pretty impactful at the time--I finally "got" trunk chops from one of his books--PRE-INTERNET. Its easy to look down at such things now with the resources available to you at the simple press of a button, but back in the 60's,- 70's, 80's and early 90's all of this stuff was NOT easy to find, much less find in a published book with photos.

Off my soapbox...His trees aren't really all that now when compared to the growing ranks of Japan-educated westerners moving into the general ranks. But it's best not to throw too many stones at the old guys...And FWIW, I've seen it becoming a bit fashionable to trash John Naka too...just sayin....
Except... he, like the rest of us, now have access to the Internet where the latest and greatest techniques are shown. I studied under Naka. I, too, once thought that Bonsai Techniques I and II, were the Bibles of bonsai. But, I’ve continued to learn and grow. New methods have displaced the old. A true Master never stops learning. As an example, Naka taught to remove old wire by cutting it off. I don’t do that anymore. I now “unspin” it. It’s better.

Are there “self taught Masters”? Sure, but they’re rare as hen’s teeth. Mr. Ebihara is one. Now his methods have become part of the meta of the new bonsai artists. Follow Juan Andrade’s work to see how the younger generation is applying some of the advanced techniques Mr. Ebihara invented.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Except... he, like the rest of us, now have access to the Internet where the latest and greatest techniques are shown. I studied under Naka. I, too, once thought that Bonsai Techniques I and II, were the Bibles of bonsai. But, I’ve continued to learn and grow. New methods have displaced the old. A true Master never stops learning. As an example, Naka taught to remove old wire by cutting it off. I don’t do that anymore. I now “unspin” it. It’s better.

Are there “self taught Masters”? Sure, but they’re rare as hen’s teeth. Mr. Ebihara is one. Now his methods have become part of the meta of the new bonsai artists. Follow Juan Andrade’s work to see how the younger generation is applying some of the advanced techniques Mr. Ebihara invented.

That may be, but some remain cemented to the past or are afraid of the Internet (which is not uncommon among folks Chan's age). Doesn't really negate what they did there. Saying so, skates past their worth. They are what they are in many cases. I know I forever in debt to Chan for a single page from his books--It had a photo of a hornbeam--chopped and being dug up by a backhoe. I know those kinds of collection photos are all over the net, but back in 1993, that photo was groundbreaking for me.

He is stuck in his ways, but he did publish that photo...I'll cut him some slack -- and look elsewhere for current techniques.

Top Bottom