Newbie to Japanese Maples - Murasaki Kiyohime

Djgreddy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all!

Recently I have gotten interest in Japanese maples. I've been watching alot of videos and reading a ton online and finally purchased one. It was a Murasaki Kiyohime from Mendocino Maples. It came in a 1 gallon container, so I immediately moved it into a 3 gallon pot. I chose this specific species is because it's a dwarf and I want to keep it as a container tree.

I purchased a soil mix that had bark and such in there but that was it. I didn't use any fertilizer or any root growth materials. Just making sure I'm doing this right and hope all will be well.

Please share any tips for this newbie and let me know how this tree looks to you. I'm hoping I didn't get ripped off with a crappy tree.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3792.jpg
    IMG_3792.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3795.jpg
    IMG_3795.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_3809.jpg
    IMG_3809.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hello and welcome, it's almost guaranteed your tree is grafted, not necessarily a bad thing.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The maple looks fine. Don't grow it indoors if you are. What is your soil like, and how is the drainage from that pot? It took me about 8 years of ground growing my M. Kiyohime before it grew into a size suitable for bonsai.

Djgreddy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The maple looks fine. Don't grow it indoors if you are. What is your soil like, and how is the drainage from that pot? It took me about 8 years of ground growing my M. Kiyohime before it grew into a size suitable for bonsai.

I thought I could be able to grow it indoors but after reading online I know I can't, so it's outside now in the back patio, which gets about 2-3 hours of evening sun. I hope that's ok.
As for soil, I bought a premix soil from a place called Calloways called Calloway's Tree and Shrub Planting Mix. The mixture consist of aged pine bark, composted rice hulls, coco fiber, Canadian sphagnum peat moss, alfalfa meal, expanded shale and gypsum. The soil mix seems to be draining pretty good as far as i know.

I immediately repotted in a pot i bought as soon as it arrived last week but after reading online, I should have waited until August.. really hope I didn't screw up there. The new pot is a 3 gallon pot with 2 inch holes on the bottom for drainage.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I repot young maples in Texas summer loosening much of the soil, and most do fine. They're originally in fine composted pine bark, and I just repot into pure pine bark.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Not saying I recommend repotting in summer, but it's something I do. Repotting a Japanese maple bonsai is something I would not do in the summer.

Djgreddy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
would you prune any of those tall branches if this was you or should I wait until next year?

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
would you prune any of those tall branches if this was you or should I wait until next year?
I would wait and get a feel for it and maples in general.

Are you planning on Bonsai with it or just pot culture?

Looks to be a very nice
Murasaki!

Also, you took picture inside, you do plan to move outside?

Djgreddy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would wait and get a feel for it and maples in general.

Are you planning on Bonsai with it or just pot culture?

Looks to be a very nice
Murasaki!

Also, you took picture inside, you do plan to move outside?

I want to keep it small and potted, that's why when doing research I came across this dwarf species. Really like the colors and such so pulled the trigger on it.
Yes so the pictures are of it being inside the house, since i thought i can pot it and keep it inside but after reading all weekend, I came to conclusion that it needs to be outside.
It's now outside in the back patio that gets 2-3 hours of evening sun.. like from 5:30 - 7:30pm. Hope that's not too hot.

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I want to keep it small and potted, that's why when doing research I came across this dwarf species. Really like the colors and such so pulled the trigger on it.
Yes so the pictures are of it being inside the house, since i thought i can pot it and keep it inside but after reading all weekend, I came to conclusion that it needs to be outside.
It's now outside in the back patio that gets 2-3 hours of evening sun.. like from 5:30 - 7:30pm. Hope that's not too hot.
As long as you keep it well watered in the late summer heat you will be fine. It would prefer more morning sun vs afternoon but you have to work with what you got.
Maples can handle more than most think. Just as long as the soil is well draining (which sounds like what you got) and regular water every few days.

By the way, a friend of mine had a maple nursery in your area. Metro Maples. He retired and passed it on to a younger guy (forgot name) but very good. So good place to visit for info and maybe more trees.

Djgreddy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As long as you keep it well watered in the late summer heat you will be fine. It would prefer more morning sun vs afternoon but you have to work with what you got.
Maples can handle more than most think. Just as long as the soil is well draining (which sounds like what you got) and regular water every few days.

By the way, a friend of mine had a maple nursery in your area. Metro Maples. He retired and passed it on to a younger guy (forgot name) but very good. So good place to visit for info and maybe more trees.
appreciate the advice and I heard someone mentioned Metro Maples the other day. I'm going to have to find some time to go down there and check it out. I do want another one already lol.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you're from around here, hit up Metro Maples. Save yourself the cost of shipping, plus you see the trees in person. All my maples are from there.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score

Oh, you're friends with Keith? Younger guy is Scott. He's a good guy. So nice that Keith got him.

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oh, you're friends with Keith? Younger guy is Scott. He's a good guy. So nice that Keith got him.
Yes, I met Keith on a few of the North American Maple Society meetings. Enjoyed seeing a few of his Acer Truncatum cultivars. Never meet Scott but heard great things about him.
Ive also been out to Carl Munns nursery in Oregon a few times who provided a lot of trees to Metro Maples.

D

Deleted member 21616

I want to keep it small and potted, that's why when doing research I came across this dwarf species

Really nice tree, and welcome to the maple club!

some good resources are UBC Maples (website), and the Facebook group called Japanese Maples and Conifers. There you will find great information regarding potted landscape maples, and see many really great examples of what one can do with non-bonsai maples! Around here, opinions regarding aesthetics naturally tend to be bonsai-oriented, which might not be helpful for this tree in particular. I personally love potted landscape maples, and find that they are just as much fun to care for, prune and wire!

If you decide to prune any of the branches (eventually), think about taking cuttings or air layers. I'm not familiar with murasaki kiyo hime, but ordinary kiyo hime is famous for being really easy to root! Cuttings or layers could make great bonsai material!

Top Bottom