Newbie with a Brazilian Rain Tree

krcmari6

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have always loved the idea of bonsai and finally took the plunge into buying a prebonsai. Probably in way over my canopy here picking a tropical instead of a native deciduous, but I did it anyways. So far so good. It has been in my care for two weeks and although one branch doesn't look to great, there are many new growths popping up.

I believe my BRT selection came from a clipping of sorts having a thin but woody trunk. Also, it has a bifurcated trunk without any true leader on it (in my amateur opinion). To me, it may just grow outward and not straight upward? (Pics below)

Once spring hits, I have two possible action plans:
1) Trim and clip as it grows. Problem is that I am unsure if I have enough "foresight" to keep what I need and lose what I don't.

2) Repot it to a larger container and let it grow for a season. Then I could trim when I have more options the following spring.

I would truly appreciate any advice/opinions on how to proceed from here and what direction you would take to form this guy into a nice bonsai. All opinions appreciated!!

Thanks,
Matt
unnamed-5.jpg unnamed-3.jpg unnamed-1.jpg unnamed.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I heard crickets.......and here they be!!!!!!

marx 1.gif

See if there are any clubs nearby.....:p

rupert.gif

Don't mess with Rupert.......

mash3.gif

Hehehee.......I've got some little sticks like yours. Wait until the nights in your location are a fairly consistent 60 degrees or so until you repot into a bit bigger container.

Any more?...I'll be here all week......... :rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D
make-it-rain-dollars.gif

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm a new guy with a couple of BRT's and I'm going the let it grow route this summer. Options are a good thing and these guys look bad ass with thicker trunks. Lots of good reading in this section in regards to BRT

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I am inexperienced as well, and have only had mine since last summer. I just let them grow. But I think this year I will do a little clip and grow, since the new growth looks a little straggly. They are fun trees, just don't let it dry out.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Nice looking little tree. It needs a couple of seasons growth. If you can plant it in the ground, great, but if not spend some time just studying it. They're wonderful trees, they grow very fast with plenty of character.

janaiya

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,

I have always loved the idea of bonsai and finally took the plunge into buying a prebonsai. Probably in way over my canopy here picking a tropical instead of a native deciduous, but I did it anyways. So far so good. It has been in my care for two weeks and although one branch doesn't look to great, there are many new growths popping up.

I believe my BRT selection came from a clipping of sorts having a thin but woody trunk. Also, it has a bifurcated trunk without any true leader on it (in my amateur opinion). To me, it may just grow outward and not straight upward? (Pics below)

Once spring hits, I have two possible action plans:
1) Trim and clip as it grows. Problem is that I am unsure if I have enough "foresight" to keep what I need and lose what I don't.

2) Repot it to a larger container and let it grow for a season. Then I could trim when I have more options the following spring.

I would truly appreciate any advice/opinions on how to proceed from here and what direction you would take to form this guy into a nice bonsai. All opinions appreciated!!

Thanks,
Matt
View attachment 132239 View attachment 132240 View attachment 132241 View attachment 132242

I was wondering what happened to your Brt? Any updates available? I am new to bonsai as well and always looking to see forum members with their experiences and their pictures from BRT's

Vietcu

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FBE041D3-9C87-4D44-B8BB-D59414C91260.jpegLooks like I’m in the same boat, just got mine in the mail. Let’s just say it’s not as big as it look in their picture. Trying to figure the best option to grow this guy in zone 6.

Top Bottom