Newbie with a Question - tree selection

Elfie

Seed
Reaction score
Hello!!

After near a decade of admiring bonsai I've finally taken the plunge into making it a hobby of my own. And while I've amassed a little bit of broad knowledge, I'm just beginning to scratch the surface in terms of applying what I've learned. I'm so happy to have found this forum.

I've been hunting around for an older specimen of bonsai or pre-bonsai to add to my little collection of two. My eye is caught on a Siberian elm but it's a little - unusual.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mo0AAOSwfi9ZrlnR/s-l1600.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OVYAAOSw~gxZrlng/s-l1600.jpg

My question is, would this tree be a good future bonsai? It has no nebari that I can see, no real trunk line, and doesn't conform to any style I've read about. From the seller's description it's a sucker of unknown age collected three years ago. And while I really do like it, would it be a worthwhile tree to pursue?

Thank you for reading.

((Also I apologize if posting pictures of this kind isn't allowed - I couldn't find a place containing general rules for this forum))

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is nice material for making a bonsai.

Don't let it be the only thing you are working with. Get some other stuff - cheap junk, whatever interests you.

When I started at this game, I had lots of phobias and misconceptions, some of which were because of 'sage advice'. IMHO, it pays to have stuff with which it is no big loss if things don't work out well. More stuff is the only way you can possibly learn faster.

People will tell you that you can only repot in spring 'when the buds swell'. It is a good time, but it is not the only one. In fact, prefer to repot conifers, quince, azaleas after the summer solstice --> ca August. Maybe grow some stuff in different substrates (aka 'soil') and see for yourself what they do to root morphology and the differences is watering requirements that come with them. Definitely use this stuff to learn pruning responses and to get experience with deciduous trunk chops. Try air layering. Try grafting. Try wiring. Maybe also try growing something from seed or start with seedlings. Maybe dig some shrubs from the landscape and try to make a bonsai from them too.

Every tree has the elements to become a bonsai. The challenge is to develop your skills to get it there (@Smoke that ;)).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello!!

After near a decade of admiring bonsai I've finally taken the plunge into making it a hobby of my own. And while I've amassed a little bit of broad knowledge, I'm just beginning to scratch the surface in terms of applying what I've learned. I'm so happy to have found this forum.

I've been hunting around for an older specimen of bonsai or pre-bonsai to add to my little collection of two. My eye is caught on a Siberian elm but it's a little - unusual.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mo0AAOSwfi9ZrlnR/s-l1600.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OVYAAOSw~gxZrlng/s-l1600.jpg

My question is, would this tree be a good future bonsai? It has no nebari that I can see, no real trunk line, and doesn't conform to any style I've read about. From the seller's description it's a sucker of unknown age collected three years ago. And while I really do like it, would it be a worthwhile tree to pursue?

Thank you for reading.

((Also I apologize if posting pictures of this kind isn't allowed - I couldn't find a place containing general rules for this forum))
That is a pretty cool little tree that could work up into a nice if unconventional bonsai. You'd basically be working on a "clump" style tree with it--which is basically separate trees that share the same root mass.
http://bonsaibark.com/2016/10/17/bonsai-forests-clump-style/

Siberian elms, like most elms, grow like weeds and are very forgiving--a good choice for first time bonsai ists.

However, full size Siberian elm are notorious for simply giving up on trunks and branches for no real reason. They just kill off a branch or trunk to put energy into another. I've heard that Siberian Elm as bonsai can do the same. It doesn't look like this tree has had that happen though.

Work on this would be to get a more even, attractive root base--eliminate those air roots, as well as smooth out some of the chop marks on the trunks. Won't take much time to push new ramification into the canopy.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My eye is caught on a Siberian elm but it's a little - unusual.

If it is unusual is it perhaps not able to grow in your climate? If you modify your profile you can make your general location known as in my avatar ;)

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
However, full size Siberian elm are notorious for simply giving up on trunks and branches for no real reason. They just kill off a branch or trunk to put energy into another. I've heard that Siberian Elm as bonsai can do the same. It doesn't look like this tree has had that happen though.
I believe if you just keep working them and don't let them rest on their laurels they don't do this too much.
Root work every spring.
Don't let the suckers grow out of branch collars or you lose that branch.
Loads of fertilizer.
Lots of cutting.
I have a few of these trees. And I will lose fine tugging during winter but it grows back in a very short time.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

Why is this tree not in leaf? Otherwise it looks like a nice project! That is actually a pretty large pot.

Elfie

Seed
Reaction score
@0soyoung

Thank you! I've been so worried about doing the wrong thing with my bonsai that it's hard to experiment, gotta let go of the fear and allow my babies to swim or sink. It's good to know that it's not looked down on to try new things and to accidentally butcher a plant or two.

That's brilliant! All I've heard from Youtube and internet info is to nearly exclusively repot in spring. I've been on a race to hunt down some yamadori in my area due to this, and there is always good nursery stock that comes out in summer. I'll certainty experiment and see how some Azalea's go with summer repots. I'm definitely excited to try my hand at airlyaering as well, have my eye on an apricot, unknown maple species, and a pine. I've heard it's hard to airlayer pines and conifers - do you know if this is true?

I heard Elms were good starter trees, but only for their hard-to-kill attributes, it's awesome to know they're amazing growers too! I recall seeing a few clup-styles in books, but never any as beautiful as those, it’s definitely something I’ll be aspiring to with this tree!

Thank you for the styling advice and the caution, my eye will be peeled on the trunks/branches of the little guy.​

Huh, I thought I had added my location – mustn’t have saved properly. But by unusualness I meant the look of the tree, not the area as thankfully it’s from the same state as me. Rockm kindly identified it as a potential clump style.​

Thank you so much for your guidance, I know I’ll be relying heavily on it in the near future!​

Thanks for the welcome guys :)
I live down under, hence the no leaves on the elm as we’re just breaking into Spring.​

Last edited:

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@0soyoung

Thank you! I've been so worried about doing the wrong thing with my bonsai that it's hard to experiment, gotta let go of the fear and allow my babies to swim or sink. It's good to know that it's not looked down on to try new things and to accidentally butcher a plant or two.

That's brilliant! All I've heard from Youtube and internet info is to nearly exclusively repot in spring. I've been on a race to hunt down some yamadori in my area due to this, and there is always good nursery stock that comes out in summer. I'll certainty experiment and see how some Azalea's go with summer repots. I'm definitely excited to try my hand at airlyaering as well, have my eye on an apricot, unknown maple species, and a pine. I've heard it's hard to airlayer pines and conifers - do you know if this is true?

I heard Elms were good starter trees, but only for their hard-to-kill attributes, it's awesome to know they're amazing growers too! I recall seeing a few clup-styles in books, but never any as beautiful as those, it’s definitely something I’ll be aspiring to with this tree!

Thank you for the styling advice and the caution, my eye will be peeled on the trunks/branches of the little guy.​

Huh, I thought I had added my location – mustn’t have saved properly. But by unusualness I meant the look of the tree, not the area as thankfully it’s from the same state as me. Rockm kindly identified it as a potential clump style.​

Thank you so much for your guidance, I know I’ll be relying heavily on it in the near future!​

Thanks for the welcome guys :)
I live down under, hence the no leaves on the elm as we’re just breaking into Spring.​

Hi elfie,
Spring about to jump into action here too.
Looking forward to helping each other from the "down under " perspective
Charles

Top Bottom