Reaction score
I bought a motorcycle from this man ..going back to show him what I have done to his bike ..to discover he is a bonsai gardener...I am going to try this as well..How do I start...got some small pine trees in yard to start as subjects...all help welcomed...thank you

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Start by finding people who have trees you admire, then do what they do. Read, study, practice. If you want specific tree advice here, you need to provide your approximate geographic location, and decent photos of the trees.

Morax

Yamadori
Reaction score
I started by reading everything i could find. Looking questions up online, trying failing trying again. Found this place and anything i have questions about i have found here not just asked/ answered but shown via photos, well written explanations... welcome and remember only dumb question is one unasked....

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Check out every bonsai book from your local library and watch some bonsai vids on youtube

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

I would recommend starting with a Chinese juniper or Chinese elm. Easiest trees, and least likely to die on you in your first year. Pines are more difficult and require some specific skills in order to develop and maintain.

Depending on where you live, there may be a club close by. Go to a couple of meetings because it will be a real eye-opening experience.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome. This site has a ton of resources written and people form! I would agree Chinese elms a great place to start. Quick growers, forgiving, and hardy in a variety of zones. They adapt to about any style and offer great opportunities to develop and refine your wiring technique! I am a big fan.

Top Bottom