Newbie!

kbmsipa1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I bought the attached Coastal Redwood when i visited Muir Woods, a couple of days ago. I live at the beach in zone 7b, so it’s humid, but not like Muir Woods. Some questions for you experienced folks:

1. After reading a number of posts on this site, i gather that I’m better off growing this outdoors and protecting during the rare occasions when we get below freezing temps?

2. I’ve read elsewhere that i should start in a 1-gal container; do you all agree with this?

3. Should the container be wide, but shallow, given this species’ root structure?

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 0F20D124-E45A-4642-8679-D6707375366A.png
    0F20D124-E45A-4642-8679-D6707375366A.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 31

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You need to fill in your location for us to help effectively. Like at least the state/city. Without that info you will get all kinds of conflicting advice. Redwood can be difficult to keep beyond California. Yes. It should be outdoors all the time. INdoors will kill it.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to BNut! I've ordered seedlings from the Jonsteen Company before through their store on Amazon. Good company. Would buy from them again.

To answer your questions:
  1. Yes, grow it outdoors, but while it's super young, protect it from extreme freezing and high winds. An unheated garage or shed would be a great place for it to spend this winter. Next year when it's bigger and stronger, you can likely get away with leaving it completely outdoors.
  2. If you're not going to plant it in the ground, then yes, a 1-gallon container is OK. There's no need or benefit to putting such a small seedling into a massive pot. That's called "overpotting" for obvious reasons.
  3. At the age this tree is, you want growth. A standard 1-gallon nursery pot is just fine for now. Keeping it alive through winter is priority #1. You can think about its future more in-depth when spring comes. As far as substrate goes, you don't need bonsai soil just yet. Potting soil is OK for the time-being as long as it drains well and doesn't leave the roots sopping wet. Its water needs during the winter will be minimal, but don't let it completely dry out for too long.

Last edited:

kbmsipa1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to BNut! I've ordered seedlings from the Jonsteen Company before through their store on Amazon. Good company. Would buy from them again.

1. Yes, grow it outdoors, but while it's super young, protect it from extreme freezing and high winds. An unheated garage or shed would be a great place for it to spend this winter. Next year when it's bigger and stronger, you can likely get away with leaving it completely outdoors.
  2. If you're not going to plant it in the ground, then yes, a 1-gallon container is OK. There's no need or benefit to putting such a small seedling into a massive pot. That's called "overpotting" for obvious reasons.
  3. At the age this tree is, you want growth. A standard 1-gallon nursery pot is just fine for now. Keeping it alive through winter is priority #1. You can think about its future more in-depth when spring comes. As far as substrate goes, you don't need bonsai soil just yet. Potting soil is OK for the time-being as long as it drains well and doesn't leave the roots sopping wet. Its water needs during the winter will be minimal, but don't let it completely dry out for too long.
Thanks very much!

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I bought the attached Coastal Redwood when i visited Muir Woods, a couple of days ago. I live at the beach in zone 7b, so it’s humid, but not like Muir Woods. Some questions for you experienced folks:

1. After reading a number of posts on this site, i gather that I’m better off growing this outdoors and protecting during the rare occasions when we get below freezing temps?

2. I’ve read elsewhere that i should start in a 1-gal container; do you all agree with this?

3. Should the container be wide, but shallow, given this species’ root structure?

Thank you for your help!
Much species like to be outside, a big container means more room to grow! Welcome to the forum!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks very much!
Please fill out the location information in your profile. That way the information appears with all your post and you won't have to keep repeating it in messages...

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Thank you for your help!
Welcome!
Others already told you what you need to do. Priority one is to keep it alive until spring.

kbmsipa1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

kbmsipa1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good morning! Well, i took your advice and now 9 months later, am getting good growth (it’s about 16” tall). B8C2007E-0023-45B6-8E57-F65106FB87F1.jpegNow my question is: at what point do i start pruning? I’ve bought a couple of books that seem to gloss over this point!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Good morning! Well, i took your advice and now 9 months later, am getting good growth (it’s about 16” tall). View attachment 442139Now my question is: at what point do i start pruning? I’ve bought a couple of books that seem to gloss over this point!
Looking good! You are a long long way from pruning. Let it grow for a few years until you get a trunk about 1.5" thick at least. With Coastal Redwood that will be just 2 years.

kbmsipa1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looking good! You are a long long way from pruning. Let it grow for a few years until you get a trunk about 1.5" thick at least. With Coastal Redwood that will be just 2 years.
Thanks! I’ve also started a giant sequoia, a Korean Fir, and some other conifer that i pulled up in my yard; i think it may be a cedar, as i have two on my property. I’m excited! All are showing new growth!

Top Bottom