Newbie's First Juniper

SlayingCondors

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've been interested in bonsai for a few months and really wanted a juniper.

They're not at all common in nurseries around here, but I was able to find this tree at the weekend.

It was labelled as Juniperus Chinensis 'Blue Compact', but looking at the needles when I got it home I suspect it might be Juniperus Squamata. Can anyone confirm this?

Juniper 1.png Juniper 2.png Juniper 3.png

It's around a metre tall from the top of the pot and is obviously in pretty bad nursery soil.

So far I've just taken the stake out and removed some of the dead material from around the base.

Eventually I'll be cutting it down to at least half its height for styling, but I want to focus on getting it really healthy before I do anything to it. I particularly want to make sure I keep the lower branches healthy so they can be used in a design.

I'm a complete novice, so any advice as to what I should do over the next year would be welcome. When shall I put it in some good, free draining soil?

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look like you have something to work with. The first thing I would do is figure out your tree design. Look at a lot of pictures of trees and bonsais and try to find ones you like with similar trunks. Second, I would chop it above where your design will be next spring. Remove the branches you will not use in the final design so every branch you will use gets lots of sun. By the end of the summer you may be able to do a first styling. The tree looks really healthy which tells me the soil will be fine until the next spring.
You did good by buying a large tree. Its a lot more fun to chop and develop branching than sit around for years and wait for a trunk to grow. Good Luck.

SlayingCondors

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would chop it above where your design will be next spring. Remove the branches you will not use in the final design so every branch you will use gets lots of sun.

I've read that you shouldn't remove more than 20% of a juniper's foliage. I imagine my final design will only need about 50% or less of what I have. Wouldn't one big chop be bad for the tree's health?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've read that you shouldn't remove more than 20% of a juniper's foliage. I imagine my final design will only need about 50% or less of what I have. Wouldn't one big chop be bad for the tree's health?
It depends on the time of year and after care. I stripped a juniper of easily 80percent of the foliage from and its doing fine. It'll have juvenilengrowth for a while though but that's okay lol

Aaron

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your 20% number is way too conservative. As long as you have a good amount of healthy foliage left on the tree you should be fine. Chop a little higher than you think to be safe.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cool you going to have fun with this one :D
i removed over 50% of some junipers in spring as after care mist the foliage as much as possible and itl be fine

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is that Whitworth?

SlayingCondors

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
As we approach the end of winter, I'm considering repotting this along with my two other pre-bonsai (japanese maple and chinese juniper) into big pots with good, well-draining soil.

My plan is to keep them for at least another year before I do any chopping. I want to make sure they thicken up and get really healthy. No root pruning, just more room to grow and better soil.

I know the deciduous trees will be fine with this, but how will my juniperus squamata handle being bare rooted?

Will it take a while to recover but be good for it in the long run? Or would I be better off keeping it in the dense compost it came in from the nursery until I give it its first chop?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
the pictures in the first post looks like the tree is in good health

if it where mine i would have itchy pruning fingers lol

try to prune some to open it up a bit to get the air and Light into it

i think its ok to bareroot it root prune it and prune it all together but thats me

SlayingCondors

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's been 4 years since I posted anything about this tree.

It's had a weird journey.

It's mostly been living in my parents' garden since 2018 and I haven't really been making big movements towards making it into a bonsai.

But I still think there's been some interesting (not entirely positive) progression.

I want to share a few pictures here and see what people think - just generally!

One thing I've learned is that juniperus squamata is annoying with its desire to grow outwards and die off near the trunk.

I'm only just figuring out how I might in the future make the tree more compact.

Anyway...
January 2018
20180128_152931.jpg
20180128_153129.jpg

May 2018
20180513_201846.jpg

November 2019
20191103_153821.jpg

June 2020
20200620_160014.jpg20200620_164653.jpg

August 2020
20200823_111905.jpg

February 2021
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-28 at 15.54.42.jpeg

April 2021
20210405_153837.jpg

June 2021
IMG_20210620_103156.jpg

SlayingCondors

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Some bonus pictures of the exciting new growth closer in to the trunk:IMG_20210620_083600.jpg

IMG_20210620_094200.jpgIMG_20210620_103316.jpgIMG_20210620_103326.jpgIMG_20210620_103330.jpg

Top Bottom