NEWBIES..some advice

Cali-Mike

Seedling
Reaction score
Harry, you embarrass yourself every time you post. Your an old fool. I'm done with you.

Mike

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Root cutting....free.The pot it started in was a nursery container..... $0.05.....Soil...$5.00 bag of Kmart brand or something. http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1838

You're missing the point Harry.

Your advice is sound until you get to the part about not even trying if you don't have the "necessary" tools,soil,pots etc.Bonsai can be enjoyable to some that have nothing more than a stick in a pot.It's their choice to enjoy the horticulture,the art,or the craft.Someday,they may enjoy all aspects of bonsai.

Andy

Attachments

• DSC_0002 copy.jpg
    DSC_0002 copy.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 26

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Root cutting....free.The pot it started in was a nursery container..... $0.05.....Soil...$5.00 bag of Kmart brand or something. http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1838

You're missing the point Harry.

Your advice is sound until you get to the part about not even trying if you don't have the "necessary" tools,soil,pots etc.Bonsai can be enjoyable to some that have nothing more than a stick in a pot.It's their choice to enjoy the horticulture,the art,or the craft.Someday,they may enjoy all aspects of bonsai.

Andy

Very nice tree Andy, glad you hung around. Because of you climate, do you do mostly tropicals ?

Ciao,
Harry

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice tree Andy, glad you hung around. Because of you climate, do you do mostly tropicals ?

Ciao,
Harry

Almost exclusively tropicals, Harry. A few elms here and there.

I can't put my trees up against yours as far as quality, but I'm betting I enjoy mine as much as you do yours. It's all in the perspective of the individual. I just hate to see anyone discouraged from enjoying bonsai in whatever capacity their finances,talent,time and dedication allows.

Andy

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Almost exclusively tropicals, Harry. A few elms here and there.

I can't put my trees up against yours as far as quality, but I'm betting I enjoy mine as much as you do yours. It's all in the perspective of the individual. I just hate to see anyone discouraged from enjoying bonsai in whatever capacity their finances,talent,time and dedication allows.

Andy

The only reason I show my trees, first it's a bonsai forum and second people like looking at trees, if not in person then at least pictures. I live in the middle of no where for bonsai activity, if it were not for bonsai boards, I would be dead in the water. Newbies come to these boards to see trees and to learn. They don't know that with cheap material, it's going to be 5 or 10 years before they have a decent tree, if it ever happens, which most of the time it doesn't. The prime reason mallasi sell like hotcakes, we live in the I want it now society. 100 bucks is not a lot of money to spend on a hobby, the example I made above can be drug out for a year, if they want. I like to be up front with people to know what to expect. I appreciate people being that way with me. I type with one finger so I make my messages as short as possible, this one will take me twenty minutes. If being honest with people is now condidered rude and uncivil, I've outlived my time. You want your feelings hurt, get in the koi hobby. This thread reminds me of a movie "Little Miss Sunshine" . I grew up in a time when "Honesty is the best policy" and lying to people was considered a fault, now it's called being civil. We have nurseries here that sell plants that won't grow here, so you will have to come back next year and try again, but they're civil, I appreciate that.

Ciao,
Harry

Last edited:
Top Bottom