Newbies - want to share your trees?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
....which i think i ruined...
View attachment 309982

Actually, this reminds me of my favorite tree in the wild. A Utah juniper growing on a cattle ranch off the highway on my commute to work. Must be hundreds of years old, but the cattle have munched at the foliage and rubbed on the trunk for so many years that it's just a thick, curved trunk with almost a sort of hat of foliage on top of the very end. Very much a non-traditional literati. Wish I had a pic for you.
You're well on your way to replicating it with what you've done. A guy wire on the end and add two or three times the thickness to the truck and you've nailed it. It's going to be gorgeous whatever you decide to do with it.

JoB

Yamadori
Reaction score
Actually, this reminds me of my favorite tree in the wild. A Utah juniper growing on a cattle ranch off the highway on my commute to work. Must be hundreds of years old, but the cattle have munched at the foliage and rubbed on the trunk for so many years that it's just a thick, curved trunk with almost a sort of hat of foliage on top of the very end. Very much a non-traditional literati. Wish I had a pic for you.
You're well on your way to replicating it with what you've done. A guy wire on the end and add two or three times the thickness to the truck and you've nailed it. It's going to be gorgeous whatever you decide to do with it.
Would be great to see a picture... Very kind of you to comment, i hope i can end up making something of it... I was simply pleased to see it pushing new growth this spring 🙈

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
😂 😂 Your Yorkshire dialect is actually very accurate - you sure you're not a northerner?!

Well it's lovely to meet you Luke - interesting story about your username!

You look like you've acquired some great material! I completely see you being right about the need for more...much to my fella's dismay 😂 I've told him if he's going to complain, he needs to get his friend to make us a planter so I can offload some into there!

Amazing about the boats - definitely come with their unique problems and challenges but it's such a lovely life on them and like you say absolutely perfect for lockdown. Where is it you keep them? I think theirs around the Doncaster area? They live just outside of Hull so it's local for them. Their plan is to slowly make their way down to the Midlands on it to come and visit me. I did tell them driving would be quicker, but they're always up for a challenge 😂

My mum's favourite joke is "Stick t' kettle on love, be there in 3 months!"
Am I ‘eck, as like! No, I‘m just a sucker for colloquialisms 😁

Sorry, for the late reply. I like your display stand. I’m sure if it is a bit weak and susceptible to the elements you can reinforce it with some battens and slap on a bit of yacht varnish.

Seems you cant stop collecting either...😂 Told ya! You’ve got a nice collection coming on. I always try and find the reduced section at garden centres and nurseries to see which poor little buggers need “rescuing”. I picked up this Prunus ‘kojo no mai’ last week for a tenner. Lost a load of leaves but after a bit of a trim is pushing loads of new growth already. Pics from just after I bought it but I’ll take some more in a couple of weeks when there’s more growth.
436C8654-6C1A-44C9-A1FF-29340277E25F.jpegA515F7E4-06AB-4878-937E-1A9F155A9D2A.jpeg72A2A341-EDA0-4EC6-A9B0-68551F64623D.jpeg

Yes boating is definitely living life in the slow lane, but I bet they’ll have a lovely trip down when they do come down. You never know, they might decide to leave it down there so you can take it back up to them! Or are you not the nautical type? We’re on the Thames just outside Oxford. Used to be on the canal but we’re definitely happier to be river folk now :)

Badge30

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You lucky people. I have 4 dogs. 3 of them love hunting lizards, mice, rats, moles and everything they can find. I had to quickly improvise a wooden fence from scraps last spring and, of course, I had to add more and more to it's height because they kept jumping over. A little stand wouldn't help me at all
Check out Shirleysimpleshelving.com. I picked one up from her. Stable easy to put together. Saw one on one of Nigels you tube videos. Here’s a photo. AF67914E-9EAE-4381-B5D9-40C6FA59B542.jpeg

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Went in to Lowes today to pickup disposable masks for my office and grabbed this Parsoni Juniper. It had nice trunk movement with a natural bend. I cut a bunch off before I thought about taking a picture. I went to work on it a bit and repotted it and will let it grow for now through the FL summer.

After
IMG_2336.JPG

The base
IMG_7378 2.JPG

The base
IMG_2382.jpg

LeftoversIMG_2336.JPGIMG_7378 2.JPGIMG_2382.jpgIMG_7529.JPG
IMG_7529.JPG

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Check out Shirleysimpleshelving.com. I picked one up from her. Stable easy to put together. Saw one on one of Nigels you tube videos. Here’s a photo. View attachment 310133
I can't risk leaving them on a shelf without a fence around. One little lizard or bird nearby and they are gone 😅 . It's happened before, more than once. Even though the dogs probably wouldn't hurt my trees on purpose, it would be enough to just tip them over

Badge30

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I can't risk leaving them on a shelf without a fence around. One little lizard or bird nearby and they are gone 😅 . It's happened before, more than once. Even though the dogs probably wouldn't hurt my trees on purpose, it would be enough to just tip them over
Got it.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Am I ‘eck, as like! No, I‘m just a sucker for colloquialisms 😁

Sorry, for the late reply. I like your display stand. I’m sure if it is a bit weak and susceptible to the elements you can reinforce it with some battens and slap on a bit of yacht varnish.

Seems you cant stop collecting either...😂 Told ya! You’ve got a nice collection coming on. I always try and find the reduced section at garden centres and nurseries to see which poor little buggers need “rescuing”. I picked up this Prunus ‘kojo no mai’ last week for a tenner. Lost a load of leaves but after a bit of a trim is pushing loads of new growth already. Pics from just after I bought it but I’ll take some more in a couple of weeks when there’s more growth.
View attachment 310121View attachment 310120View attachment 310122

Yes boating is definitely living life in the slow lane, but I bet they’ll have a lovely trip down when they do come down. You never know, they might decide to leave it down there so you can take it back up to them! Or are you not the nautical type? We’re on the Thames just outside Oxford. Used to be on the canal but we’re definitely happier to be river folk now :)

Sorry missed this! Yeah Yorkshire does have a range of err 'interesting' quiloquosms 😂

Yeah think the stand will definitely need some varnish, it'll hopefully be alright until I either buy or make (or ask my fella's mate to make) something better!

I'm finding this to be such a moreish hobby! Always something to learn and so fun trying new material. I mean I've got a few that I think COULD go somewhere, particularly the juniper! Excited about that one. And I do love the hazel.

How's the prunus doing?! Hoping it pulls through - looks like it could be really nice!

Boat wise, we went on canalling holidays most years when I was a kid and I loved the easy life, but I wouldn't have a clue doing it myself!! We always stuck to canals... Bet it's pretty cool going along the Thames!

aprice77

Seed
Reaction score
I like the idea for this tree. It looks similar to one of my little guys
View attachment 309653

It's also similar to mine because it's not wired very well 😁 (I've since rewired neatly). I think you should look into how to wire a tree. I'm not sure the wire on one of your branches is doing much at all and the other seems more like a guy wire than wired.

It also looks like you're using electrical wiring which isn't quite the same thickness as a bonsai wire for the same outside diameter due to the insulation. This means it doesn't hold branches in place as well.

Try reading this: How to wire by bonsai empire
And or watching this:Wiring a tree by Orlando Bonsai

Note the 45 degree angle of the wire and direction of the wiring depends on which way you're bending the branch.
Thanks! Really appreciate the feedback

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Carol 83 glad you saw that one👆!

How bout that fence!

Looks like a great chill spot!

Sorce

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Gonna keep it going - here's progress on my juniper (also in my juniper thread)

Bit of jin and wiring to start to make the shape! Not the best wiring at all but it's a start!

Attachments

• 20200621_141328.jpg
    20200621_141328.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20200621_141209.jpg
    20200621_141209.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200621_141241.jpg
    20200621_141241.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20200620_175951.jpg
    20200620_175951.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 46

Agianinio

Seedling
Reaction score
Not too flashy with my start, but my landlord allowed me to dig up some lilac suckers and I found some seedlings in a leaf pile that I’m playing with. I have some ideas of trees to dig up when the weather turns appropriate, but that’s it for now. About half of the lilacs are doing well either in the ground or in a large training pot. Forgot to get photos for those lol. Here‘s my sapling forest lol. Not traditional but I think it’s cute.CE382FDC-5FF5-4323-AD66-BA44C761B87E.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I like this thread. I just caught up today, with pages 1 - 10. I'm late enough to the party that I won't comment on any one tree I can't post on the same page with that tree, or the immediate subsequent page.

I want to say I admire and enjoy all the enthusiasm.

@Woocash & @Clorgan - your dialects are nothing. Back in 1988, before it was "cool" to go there, I ended up in Newcastle on Tyne for a week. My host was an American working with a pack of Geordies, especially after a couple pints they were friggin' unintelligible. Four more pints and I understood everything, LOL. At the time Newcastle was definitely a working class town, but a great jumping off point to visit the northern counties. Visited many spots along the Hadrian Wall. Fun trip I remember to this day. My only tour of the UK.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I like this thread. I just caught up today, with pages 1 - 10. I'm late enough to the party that I won't comment on any one tree I can't post on the same page with that tree, or the immediate subsequent page.

I want to say I admire and enjoy all the enthusiasm.

@Woocash & @Clorgan - your dialects are nothing. Back in 1988, before it was "cool" to go there, I ended up in Newcastle on Tyne for a week. My host was an American working with a pack of Geordies, especially after a couple pints they were friggin' unintelligible. Four more pints and I understood everything, LOL. At the time Newcastle was definitely a working class town, but a great jumping off point to visit the northern counties. Visited many spots along the Hadrian Wall. Fun trip I remember to this day. My only tour of the UK.
Why aye! Yee gan doon toon wiya load a Geordie gadgies and still got hyem areet. Are yee daft? Howay man! 🤦‍♂️

Fun city is Newcastle. Went up there for a stag do a few years back and had whale of a time, but I didn't get up there until it was “cool”. I dare say it’s changed a bit since then.

Top Bottom