Newbies - want to share your trees?

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A batch of younger trees - beech, black pine and an array of maples. Last year was about getting started and acquiring some trees that would serve as my "guinea pigs" to get some practice and start working. As I continue to work on those and maybe get some more, these will be my first batch that I will grow longer term.

Attachments

• new trees.jpg
    new trees.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 96

DraytonSawyer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
In search of some noob advice. I didn't get a chance to repot this Chinese Elm before the buds began to unfurl, as you can see. Is it too late at this point or am I safe to repot if done today?

Edit: Midwest US, Zone 5

Attachments

• 20220316_130826.jpg
    20220316_130826.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 75

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In search of some noob advice. I didn't get a chance to repot this Chinese Elm before the buds began to unfurl, as you can see. Is it too late at this point or am I safe to repot if done today?

Edit: Midwest US, Zone 5
1st question: does it really need repotted? If it's not terribly root bound, or in awful soil, then don't worry about it.

If you do need to repot it for some reason, then you could do it now, but don't mess with the roots too much, and I wouldn't do much other work on it this season.

DraytonSawyer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Appreciate that! It came to me a year ago in substrate that's waaaay too wet for too long. I hear you though.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Appreciate that! It came to me a year ago in substrate that's waaaay too wet for too long. I hear you though.
Ulmus a pretty tough genus, so you're probably safe to do whatever you need to. I just know I've killed allot of trees thinking that, and went too far. Hell, I'm still bad about it.

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey all, loving the friendly and helpful vibes in here. I'm a newbie and have been lurking and learning for a few weeks, got started in the depths of the (UK) winter though so not too much action to show on my trees so far! Can't wait for spring proper, need to decide what to do with a few of these purchases though. I think I have already got myself a reputation digging around for nebari at the local garden centre, thank god for face masks... anyway here are a few of these very early days projects! :cool: I also got a cut price Taxus (looks a bit too straight in there), Cotoneaster (wild af, but skinny trunk) and cheapo proto-sumo Ficus.

Looking forward to learning more and getting stuck into some discussions on this board. Cheers!

#1 Chinese Elm. The birthday web-sai. Gets upset if called a mallsai because a) this England b) his feet are nestled in what looks to be mostly akadama straight out the box! Could be a sneaky top dressing but no glue and pebbles here. Might save me an immediate re-pot in the coming weeks but then where next...top heavy, lack of taper, big chop wound, wire scars, what looks like a knotted trunk rather than root mass. Will be outside and properly trimmed soon, might start by attacking the dense apex and taperless upper branches, need to beef up the lower half, I don't have the cojones for a trunk chop yet.

View attachment 355159
View attachment 355160

#2 Juniperus Chinensis - love seeing this little punky guy every morning, torn between getting stuck in to practice some skills, plant out or maybe just a repot to focus on root development first. Outgrowing the nursery pot and its fairly typical compost in there I think. Lots of meaty branches on the inside of the bends that will need tackling sooner or later. Some movement here but hidden by the dense foliage.

View attachment 355161

#3 Cotinus "Young Lady" - random nursery buy (while frozen solid) though luckily i can spot a tiny bit of flare and movement down there below the soil line. Yet to do any work, maybe will just prune the most obvious bits this spring, not sure. Not one of the usual purple variants. Maybe better to plant out and try to get a fatter gnarly trunk down the line but I am not sure yet how fast these grow or get out of control.

View attachment 355163

View attachment 355164

#4 Chamaecyperis Thy. Excellent Point. £2.50 1st wiring practice aka the Poundshop Peter Chan Principle. Ideal activity for a cold, dark night and despite not looking like any of his natural False Cypress brethren seems to be pretty happy. Before shot is actually his identical twin.

View attachment 355165

View attachment 355166
Hey all thanks for the sharing! I am still a newb but learning! 😀 Quick update 1 year on for the Chinese Elm and Chinese Juniper.

The elm needed some root work a couple of weeks back but has grown well in his box. This year, haircuts, mega feed!

IMG_20220313_145338.jpg

The juniper I took to a workshop for some basic styling and wiring practice, it was very awkward once inside the massive knot of foliage and needed a lot of cleaning. We straightened the trunk up a bit with heavy gauge wire. Will see how it progresses from here and where I take it, need to deal with odd spindly branches. I kinda miss the huge punky crunchy mass of a year ago!

IMG_20220318_124119.jpg

There have been new acquisitions too 😁 i'll drip feed em in, here is a grafted white pine

IMG_20220204_144707.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Some holm oak suckers I wired with 4mm wire

Repotting them will be its own issue later

Attachments

• 861EDFD8-B059-448F-956A-D6E348A8027B.jpeg
    861EDFD8-B059-448F-956A-D6E348A8027B.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 44
  • C58FEB58-574B-4D1C-9672-45CE7D6D1337.jpeg
    C58FEB58-574B-4D1C-9672-45CE7D6D1337.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 51

Teacup bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 355676Turns out there was some nebari hanging out in there after all!
Im hoping the embedded wire scar heals over a little more, but will attempt for a nice shohin in a few years
A034C758-7689-4590-8084-03058BFE5360.jpeg
Update on progress, will take off the last inch of first branch once I know it won’t die back to next nodes

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
More info on that little mame pot please!!! Is it clay? How is drainage done? Are you a potter? Do you have other work? Do you have more of those and do you sell them?

Your little JBP is cute as well but I really like that pot!
Anthony has not strolled these halls In a while.. :( I miss him.

It is believed/said by others that he was moving to the other side of the island.. and "internet" was "Iffy"...

@Clicio says he spoke to him recently..

But I'm always skeptical when it comes to the wellbeing of my friends.

I even gave @Perrywinkle the ol' "Blink twice if your in danger" over PM! 🤪😂🤦🏽‍♂️

Well not REALLY.. but sort of! 😂😂😂

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well, unfortunately not recently but in 2020.
It's been two years now.
I miss him.
I forget how long I've been "curious" about his absence..

Is he tall?.... he seems tall. :)

Is he native to those islands.. or did "Babylon" bring his family there?

LindaPat

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think the first branch should be a sacrifice branch. Been trying to wire the other branches to mirror the 90 degree turns in the “trunk”.

pnwnovice

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Vine Maple with an ugly wiring job.

One of many "works in progress" I have, thought it died in our snowstorm this winter but it managed to survive so I repotted it in this goodwill pot find.

Attachments

• 20220328_182649~2.jpg
    20220328_182649~2.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom