Newbies - want to share your trees?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really, wider? I thought the large size of the pot already dwarfs the tree, and was considering a bit shallower at next repot.

Cheers for the sagely advice re the watering!

For good measure...

20200718_113114.jpg

Our good friend @Anthony had me put This in a wider shallower pot, and it quite enjoyed it.

At this stage you are in, I think it will serve you well.

Don't know if Morton Bay Tubers up...but I think there is a thing about a shallow pot that also prevents tubers.

It will certainly drag out the basal flare and Nebari.

No rush to change pots or anything....ever!

Sorce

Toshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For good measure...

View attachment 324941

Our good friend @Anthony had me put This in a wider shallower pot, and it quite enjoyed it.

At this stage you are in, I think it will serve you well.

Don't know if Morton Bay Tubers up...but I think there is a thing about a shallow pot that also prevents tubers.

It will certainly drag out the basal flare and Nebari.

No rush to change pots or anything....ever!

Sorce

I see what you mean now after perusing the "hillbilly project" lol, shallow and wider would be a really cool look when it's time.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
20200824_130750.jpg
My little ghetto shelves, I'll be buying a house soon so wanted to keep it simple. Mostly just nursery stock so far, a few I've done a little wiring practice on. I've also got "finished" serissa that's hiding indoors from the heatwave and a badly sunburnt, suffering large Lebanon cedar that's hiding also heat wave related. From left to right I've got a blue atlas I'll be chopping in the spring then potting the following year. A little alberta spruce which was one of my first buys. A little hinoki below that will get up potted to something a little nicer looking, to grow for a couple years. A juniper Sabina also one of my first, they were cascady so I decided to try it out a couple times. A small green prince Lebanon cedar that I'll up pot to grow for a few years. An amur maple I bought cheap because it was scraggly, it's filling in on the inside so in spring I'll clip back the long branches a few nodes. A little ficus retusa. My other juniper Sabina. Finally a bald cypress that will get chopped in spring. Knowing myself more will come.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shameless Plug.

Owen was one of the first Japanese trained Professionals I learned to love while watching his Cameo's, Classic appearances, and narratives on Bjorn's Bonsai Art of Japan YouTube series.

Not only was he an integral part of what will remain one of the best Bonsai Series on the internet, but he is also one of the only guys to remain in constant contact with us here!

I won't get into how he started my moon watching, but by the time I met him at our show I was starstruck. So starstruck in fact, I almost failed to gather the information bombs he was dropping on me about material on the sales tables.

By the next time we met at the Dinner and Auction in 2018(?), we were chatting about the Pot project. Not too long after that I was wrapped up in creating a series of pots that I haven't yet been able to match the energy of.

Owen has been integral in my dedication to Pottery, which has brought more joy to my life than even Bonsai.

The power of this thread is amazing, it has kept me in awe since about page 4!

I want to utilize that energy to help my friend.

Thank You Kindly.

Sorce

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Shameless Plug.

Owen was one of the first Japanese trained Professionals I learned to love while watching his Cameo's, Classic appearances, and narratives on Bjorn's Bonsai Art of Japan YouTube series.

Not only was he an integral part of what will remain one of the best Bonsai Series on the internet, but he is also one of the only guys to remain in constant contact with us here!

I won't get into how he started my moon watching, but by the time I met him at our show I was starstruck. So starstruck in fact, I almost failed to gather the information bombs he was dropping on me about material on the sales tables.

By the next time we met at the Dinner and Auction in 2018(?), we were chatting about the Pot project. Not too long after that I was wrapped up in creating a series of pots that I haven't yet been able to match the energy of.

Owen has been integral in my dedication to Pottery, which has brought more joy to my life than even Bonsai.

Thank You Kindly.

Sorce

So sad, I'll be appreciating my life so much more after reading this awful news. Thanks for sharing Sorce

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Shameless Plug.

Thank You Kindly.

Sorce

I feel bad posting when something so awful has happened to someone who is clearly so loved in the bonsai community. I of course don't know Owen, but I'm guessing he would want us to continue sharing our love of bonsai, whilst showing our sadness in his incredibly difficult time.

So here is my newest fuchsia, a little chunky guy. Posted it already in my thread but thought it'd be nice to share here too. I think over the past few months my eye for good potential has definitely improved and I'm beginning to know the species I love and am so keen to learn as much as I can about them.

I also want to thank everyone here again - both the fellow newbies for sharing your new found love and projects and the experienced for sharing your great wisdom, patience and support!

Seeing so many wonderful posts on this site, including those supporting Owen, is just so lovely and I'm so glad I found this hobby and forum 😊

Much love ❤️

Claire

Attachments

• 20200826_124837.jpg
    20200826_124837.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200826_124854.jpg
    20200826_124854.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200826_124857.jpg
    20200826_124857.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200826_125045.jpg
    20200826_125045.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 35

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
he would want us to continue sharing our love of bonsai

Absolutely!

Further, there would be no system to fix if it wasn't for all these Newbs who may one day require the wonderfullly hearted services he offers!

You all are the future!

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have another similar specimen to share. (Sorry I share all my weird stuff here)

My youngest son “yanked” this guy about a month ago..... I had almost no hope for it.. but it was a black locust.. and i didn’t have any.. so I thought I’d try.. so far the foliage has not changed AT ALL....so far so good...

But barely an inch thick at it’s thickest.

just thought i’d post it here.

1019E5AA-31F4-4BDF-9F20-50D8056EB5DD.jpeg

🤓

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It started with an elm
View attachment 326015
And it escalated quickly...
View attachment 326017View attachment 326018View attachment 326019View attachment 326020
I think I've finally found a lifelong hobby! 😁
I feel you man, I wanted a desk plant. Came home with a ficus. Then I found nursery trees and thought it would be an awesome relatively cheap hobby. 15 trees and an addiction to conifers later, then all the supplies needed for them and it is no longer all that cheap. I also thought it would be a nice relaxing hobby to balance my hectic impatient work life. Now I have research and planning to do for 15 trees and I can't get myself to stop wanting more! Luckily that ticks my box for being motivated by learning.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I feel you man, I wanted a desk plant. Came home with a ficus. Then I found nursery trees and thought it would be an awesome relatively cheap hobby. 15 trees and an addiction to conifers later, then all the supplies needed for them and it is no longer all that cheap. I also thought it would be a nice relaxing hobby to balance my hectic impatient work life. Now I have research and planning to do for 15 trees and I can't get myself to stop wanting more! Luckily that ticks my box for being motivated by learning.

Haha! I love it though - keeps me busy, gets me outside and keeps me learning 😁

Reaction score
My second collected specimen, a thuja root sucker from my parents house.

1st pic is after light pruning and proper potting
2nd pic is before - directly after collection. I happened to have a pot in my car that day

Attachments

• 20200820_102623.jpg
    20200820_102623.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200818_192805.jpg
    20200818_192805.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 31

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have a great collection, made in a really short period of time. That stand seems kind of unstable, probably because it is tilted on the left. You should keep an eye on it because if it collapsed it would cause a great disaster.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
You have a great collection, made in a really short period of time. That stand seems kind of unstable, probably because it is tilted on the left. You should keep an eye on it because if it collapsed it would cause a great disaster.

Thanks! Yeah the garden is on a slope. It's secured to the fence with wire and survived a storm we had last week so I think it'll be alright. But I'm definitely keeping an eye one it 😂

Top Bottom