Newby

Dutchie

Seed
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I am from the Netherlands and I am completely new to the world of Bonsai. I really love this form of art and want to learn more about it. I am thinking of buying a bonsai book or something and maybe a starter kit with a little bonsai and some tools.

But I also would like to experiment a bit with plants who are not (yet) Bonsai.

I bought a Ficus Ginseng from the garden center a few weeks ago for a few euros. I know this is not a real bonsai and didn't bought it for that cause. I just liked it as a plant for in my new house. I wasn't even reading about Bonsai in that time.

DSC_0169_zpsf3a39988.jpg

DSC_0169_zpsf3a39988.jpg

DSC_0174_zps55b431da.jpg

DSC_0176_zpsc38242a8.jpg

But I really like the bulbyroots, and all the branching. I was wondering If I could turn it into a little bit more Bonsai-like plant. It should have much smaller leafs. Is this possible to achieve? Maybe by defoliating it? The branching could be al little more too. And off course there is the ugly cut they made in the head trunk or branch, but I don't think I can do anything with is? Do you guys have suggestions?

Maybe applying the basic rules of Bonsai-keeping? I don't know this yet, but I intend on learning about this. One question I allready have about this is if it is necessary to trim the roots and place it into a shallow pot, or that this is just about appearance. Or maybe it is better to keep it in a large pot when altering the form of the plant so that it grows faster, and place it into a shallow pot when it reaches more of its final form?

Hope you can help me on the way. I also found some Japanese maple or Acer at the garden center which I thought had potential for creating a tree-like shape in it. I really would like to buy it and try making it into a bonsai, just for fun and experimenting. Is it in no way possible to keep an Acer inside the house? maybe in the window?

IMG-20140827-WA0000_zps8083031d.jpg

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Ginseng Ficus do NOT make decent (or even fairly decent) bonsai.

They're houseplants. Period. Sorry.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ginseng Ficus do NOT make decent (or even fairly decent) bonsai.

They're houseplants. Period. Sorry.

In the same theme.
Japanese maples make excellent bonsai. But need to be kept outside. Period.
They aren't houseplants. Sorry.

Top Bottom