USDA Zone
5b
IMG_1922.PNG I just tried to zoom in on a pic until I can take some closeups

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
That's a Chinese elm, Ulmus parvifolia. Zelkova serrata is in the elm family, but is not a true elm (genus Ulmus).

A good clue is that elms have asymmetrical leaf margins, but Zelkova does not. This is evident in many of the "Zelkova" pictures you have submitted.

Porkchop

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Porkchop, that looks like North Dayton Garden Center....are you in Dayton? We'd love to have you come to our Dayton bonsai show next month to meet us!
It is! The owner Pete has a lot of trees

Porkchop

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's a Chinese elm, Ulmus parvifolia. Zelkova serrata is in the elm family, but is not a true elm (genus Ulmus).

A good clue is that elms have asymmetrical leaf margins, but Zelkova does not. This is evident in many of the "Zelkova" pictures you have submitted.
You mean where the leaves grow even across the branch from each other on Chinese elm and Zelkova grow like every other spot? Like a ladder?

Porkchop

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not trying to be mean there but I wouldn't take lessons from them - there might be a few diamonds in the rough but most that stuff is very meh. The best thing you did if find this group and you can pick some things up and we can help you down the right and proper path :p

Also I would judge that tree around the 5-10 year range but you never know
Not trying to take lessons from them. I know they have a lot of trees that are alive and kickin year after year, and I constantly read horror stories where people kill them daily. Must be doing something right. I just bought it there is all

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
:) I recently just hoarded some elm seedlings looks like a few are gonna make it I'm new to grow in Chinese elm not used to them. If they don't work out I always have my Zelkova but at any rate I'm going to do what I did in my drawing there.
Wire very early first season and then let the leader rocket away to like 8 or 10 feet, who knows, to thicken the trunk of the resulting bonsai.Then chop it off!
I'm planning on doing this all in eight or 10 inch bulbpans. I don't think it has to take so long to get a truck ready anyway and then the fun starts with making branches .
Good luck with your elm:)

Attachments

• IMG_0572.JPG
    IMG_0572.JPG
    604.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    419.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0558.JPG
    IMG_0558.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 13

Porkchop

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
:) I recently just hoarded some elm seedlings looks like a few are gonna make it I'm new to grow in Chinese elm not used to them. If they don't work out I always have my Zelkova but at any rate I'm going to do what I did in my drawing there.
Wire very early first season and then let the leader rocket away to like 8 or 10 feet, who knows, to thicken the trunk of the resulting bonsai.Then chop it off!
I'm planning on doing this all in eight or 10 inch bulbpans. I don't think it has to take so long to get a truck ready anyway and then the fun starts with making branches .
Good luck with your elm:)
Nice!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm coming to Ohio Mid July....

Just saying...

If I.."have to pay for a hotel room with the tournament or they charge the team"....

Hotel Party?

@LanceMac10 meet you half way?
Bring weemac to play with Jax.
Spy a game through the tornado fence?
Some summer 13.5s?

What's up Ohio?

Sorce

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
you got what looks like a dwarf chinese elm.

Just saying...

If I.."have to pay for a hotel room with the tournament or they charge the team"....

Hotel Party?

Some summer 13.5s?

What's up Ohio?

Sorce
for the columbus show?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you got what looks like a dwarf chinese elm.

for the columbus show?

Talk to me!

16th-21st!

How much is a OOS fishing license...
Can I float my yak on my Il Reg?

:)

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How much is a OOS fishing license...
Last time I fished a tournament on Eerie we just bought a week long license.
And one for Pennsylvania.
And New York.
And Canada.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Just saying...

Hotel Party?

Some summer 13.5s?

What's up Ohio?

Sorce

I wish!!:(:mad::mad::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Top Bottom