just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice !
Yews are awesome!
Only thing thats a horrible big root on one side
Yeah this is my 5th taxus now. It's a little unsightly, but it's the back side and who knows, eventually it may blend in with the trunk better... I can't wait to see the roots on this one nest year.
I was drawn to the dead section on the front of the trunk, which I'll work on a little, next spring.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Only one sugestion about yews and roots
Expect the worst is my experience lol
They are tough as nails tough

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That root ain't nothing but bulk and movement...

A place to run your live vein into the soil.

I like it.

Sorce
Thanks man... I think there will be more dead wood in the future on this one... still need to study the tree more and come up with ideas...

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice purchase! Enjoy taking your time studying it, then you will be right an ready when the time comes. My girlfriend was surprised/confused as we walked through a nursery, I was chatting and she thought I said "I love taxes"!

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice!!!! You don't need to slow down.
I see an empty spot on the bench to the left of that tree that needs filling, go back today get another one!!

I lichen the dead wood too!

:p:p

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When you repot next year consider a rectangular box and plant it so that root mass is either going to the left or right. Then start the process of pulling the branches downward in the same direction. Anything left on the opposite side could be worked into proper deadwood or removed. From what I am seeing that root mass is not to be hidden.

Grimmy

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice find! I didn't see that one. I tend to agree w Sorce - in the world of taxus bonsai that root could easily be a feature.

Did you tour the collection?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The show this year was such a letdown. Very few vendors.

You bought that from the guy in the wizard hat right?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice find! I didn't see that one. I tend to agree w Sorce - in the world of taxus bonsai that root could easily be a feature.

Did you tour the collection?
Thanks!
Yes I did go through, always do...
I'm sad that the Japanese pavilion is still closed, it's been how many years now??...jeeze....

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
When you repot next year consider a rectangular box and plant it so that root mass is either going to the left or right. Then start the process of pulling the branches downward in the same direction. Anything left on the opposite side could be worked into proper deadwood or removed. From what I am seeing that root mass is not to be hidden.

Grimmy
Absolutely! Thanks!
I'll build a nice one over the cold months, maybe.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
nice! who did you buy from...i wonder if we knew each other...are you in the baltimore club?
Ya know, I didn't get the guys name, but as @Redwood Ryan said, it was the guy in the back corner wearing the wizard hat.
And no, I ain't in no clubs... not yet anyway. Between my job and my 8 month old daughter, I barely have time to do anything. But some day, I will be able to devote more time to a club, I wouldn't want to join and be a half asser that never shows up for anything....

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks!
Yes I did go through, always do...
I'm sad that the Japanese pavilion is still closed, it's been how many years now??...jeeze....

Yeah it seems like it's been closed a while. I don't know if it's just a refurb (the other pavilions are showing some decay) or a redesign/remodel, which would be more interesting.

I noticed a couple new juniper additions, both nice. One from Harry Hirao I think had incredible corkscrew deadwood. There were a number of conifers that looked a little yellowish and unwell to me. Hope I was wrong. I've been following some of those trees for twenty plus years now.

Top Bottom