Newest addition, japanese white pine

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Big thanks to October on helping me score my newest addition.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 891
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 814
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 857

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
that doesnt look like just a score. Looks like game, set, match! On second thought, I'll PM you my address--you need to just ship it to me so you dont have to feel so humiliated:rolleyes:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Renamed October December as in merry christmas work with 1st or 2nd pic as front.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Glad to help.:D The nursery had pic 3 as the front. However, the other sides seem to present workable fronts as well. That side shot looks pretty impressive. You could tilt the tree forward if you are considering that as a front. Definite future exhibition potential.

Rob

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pic three has inverse taper. The other two are great to work with.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nybonsai12,

I assume it is just the pictures, but does it have good roots. It appears to have negative taper in pictures 1 and 2.

Nice tree. Congratulations on a successful end to your quest to find a good Japanese White Pine.

Regards,
Martin

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks all for the comments. There is some reverse taper right at the base. As for now, I will just feed and stare.
Any action on different angles, choosing a front, potting a little deeper will be put off for a while. I feel like there are lots of different possibilities with this tree.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That October, such a nice guy :)

Grats NY. Good luck with it

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
pic three can be saved with a simple rock placement, and it might look good too.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The reverse taper issue was discussed. Actually, the top soil has been washed away and it is down to the bare minimum. It was discussed that on the next repot, the soil level will be raised about 1 1/2 inches. What is deceiving is the size of this tree. This is not a large tree, maybe around 13 inches tall. So hiding that small reverse taper area is literally as easy as raising the soil level 1 1/2 inches.

Maybe post a pic of the tree with a soda can or a hand for scale.:D

Rob

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here ya go,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 552

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The reverse taper issue was discussed. Actually, the top soil has been washed away and it is down to the bare minimum. It was discussed that on the next repot, the soil level will be raised about 1 1/2 inches. What is deceiving is the size of this tree. This is not a large tree, maybe around 13 inches tall. So hiding that small reverse taper area is literally as easy as raising the soil level 1 1/2 inches.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Very easy to deal with by raising the soil level a bit.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nice JWP, can this survive in my location Bellflower CA zone 9a I think?
These are very capturing to my eyes but don't know if there can take the heat?
Really nice movement and bark is really bring out the best in the tree.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in zone 7 which is not much different in temps than zone 9 and I have had a white pine grafted on black pine living happy for about three years.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I live in zone 7 which is not much different in temps than zone 9 and I have had a white pine grafted on black pine living happy for about three years.

Thanks, I am reading up on care on JWP at the moment, do you use water tray for moisture evap?

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
While you can raise the soil IMO if you wedged the right color, shape, and size rock under the tree it would look better and more natural. I have seen trees blown down and piled down by wind and snow that seem to be getting propped up by the rock the trunk many times will have a swell in that area where it is getting the support.

Top Bottom