Newest addition, japanese white pine

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve typically gone through the tree and would break the longest ones around this time. I intend to do the same Soon. Most branches have one long Bud and one shorter, so I will likely even them out. In past Years I was never seeing this many long candles throughout the tree. Most years it was just one short bud.
The longer candles are due to the deep pot.

You are correct, the proper thing to do us shorten the long one to match the shorter one.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Never got around to wiring this one last year. Growing well and overdo for work this fall, better make time for it before it gets too far away from me. 61DEC8CD-1D0B-4572-8367-9C6783983748.jpeg0BF85BAF-B8CF-4459-BEE8-2C44AB42AE9C.jpegF08C3B8A-91F2-4E22-B790-F6A54BBF9E69.jpeg

For the first time since I’ve had it, it’s produced two cones. while I know the rule if thumb is to twist them off, I’m tempted to leave them just to see if I get seeds(which likely wouldnt be easy to germinate anyway). I do love growing from seed!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Love the bark on this tree, and the needles. Very nice. If its only 2 cones, I would think it is perfectly "safe" to keep them, allow them to mature. The cones will probably take until sometime next year to ripen. This is normal. When the scales dry out and begin to lift up, then its time to harvest.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love the bark on this tree, and the needles. Very nice. If its only 2 cones, I would think it is perfectly "safe" to keep them, allow them to mature. The cones will probably take until sometime next year to ripen. This is normal. When the scales dry out and begin to lift up, then its time to harvest.
Thanks Leo..always appreciate your input.

Ben in Kzoo

Yamadori
Reaction score
This tree is incredible
Also very cool to have this thread and see the progression - thank you for keeping it alive

Top Bottom