Newly acquired Birch. Any help appreciated.

danmartsr

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
My first post here so bear with me on any rookie mistakes.

So last weekend at our Santa Barbara Bonsai Club exhibition and plant sale, I managed to get my hands on this little beauty for $25. Yes, that is a natural hollow trunk. No info other than its a field collected Birch. I’m new to this species. I mostly limit myself to junipers, gingkoes, oaks and olives but could not pass this one up.

I’ve scoured the net looking for info on care and found some direction but they are so general that I would really like some feedback from this group on their experiences with this type of tree.

Things I am going to do:

• Move that right lower branch growing up to the side to show the trunk more (or remove it?)
  • Light pruning on branches with too long internodes (maybe heavy pruning depending on the feedback)
  • Some wiring to get things moving in the right direction once I decide on the design
  • Reduce that left silver dead branch as it is the same height as the main trunk

One club member (whom I respect immensely and has very old wonderful trees) said she has killed every birch she has touched and refused to offer me any advice. LOL

Thoughts on feeding, defoliation and soil is really what I am looking for.

Thanks.

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 127
  • trunk-closeup.jpg
    trunk-closeup.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 87
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 81

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have had a birch for 2 years and so far it seems to be pretty easy to keep.
I am still a newbie at this myself, and I am still learning about this tree. You should know that they are not considered ideal and are not commonly grown for bonsai.

So far this tree has taught me that they dont like to dry out too much and will let you know it. Their leaves will start to droop when they are thirsty. So I would recommend a soil that does retain some moisture without being too wet and without drying out too fast. I have mine in mostly sand and so far it seems to be doing just fine. That is probably not an ideal mix but it is what I had available at the time.

From what I have read, birches are prone to losing branches via dieback which can make them problematic for bonsai.

Mine is a landscape tree I bought and chopped. It didnt seem to mind being chopped in the least. So I havent really gotten it to the point where it should be defoliated as I am trying to develop branches now and defoliation comes later.

I keep it in full sun during the spring, summer,fall and I overwinter it in an insulated, unheated, attached garage.

The only pest issue I have had is aphids but those are easily taken care of. Otherwise it hasnt had any other issues with pests.

Last edited:

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am interested I care, pruning, and feeding for birch. I have two Betula platyphylla Japanese White Birch which I started from a packet of seeds I bought online. Most failed to gemminate. I have two that survived the first year and now are in the second year. At this point, they are about the thickness of a pencil.

Thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi Dan !

Paradox is correct - birch are susceptible to dieback, so I would not recommend wiring branches too tightly or perhaps at all . I've never tried to wire birch ; in nature the trees are always young and the branches shoot upwards vertically , not horizontally.

Birch are also susceptible to common fungal diseases, the symptoms of which are black and yellow leaf spots. Liberal applications of systemic fungicide immediately prior to and following bud break have brought me success

Best of luck !

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I really love this tree. The trunk is awesome and has a lot of potential. $25? I'm jealous!

I dont know anything about birch, but would like to see your oaks. I collected my first oak this year. Welcome to B-Nut!

danmartsr

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thank you very much for the advice and the welcome! Think I'll do some light pruning and very light wiring for now. I'll save real work on this tree for a workshop in July with Ted Matson I am attending and see what advice he can offer on this tree. The pictures above do it no justice. It has potential to be really special. I can feel it.

I'll post before and after pics then.

Cheers! :D

Top Bottom