Newly aquired medium sized Trident,

Reaction score
Just thought Id share my maple :))
bought ~ two weeks ago at a show, it was way more expensive than what its technically worth but its now one of the furthest developed trees I have
(five years in, two years seriously into it)

Anyway, here it is

Attachments

• 20141018_123041.jpg
    20141018_123041.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is your design plan for this tree?

Sorce

Reaction score
well I repotted it into something a little bigger- I know its late but I can take care of it since Im home for exams so it will be fine

I just want to grow a last piece of the apex so that it tapers off nicely and then branches? What do you think?

Discovered veeery nice looking roots toward the back of the tree but Ill consult with a clubmember once its settled. Maybe the front can be changed slightly- the pruning scar where I shortened the top by half an inch shows toward the back with the current front
(the pic in the first post)

Any opinions or ideas to share on this? Its going to be pampered for a few weeks and then just grown out but Id apreciate it

Attachments

• 20141101_110441.jpg
    20141101_110441.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 20141101_110448.jpg
    20141101_110448.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 20141101_110455.jpg
    20141101_110455.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 20141101_110504.jpg
    20141101_110504.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
What is your design plan for this tree?

Sorce

Good question. That straight, low-taper trunk then the sudden bend really bothers me. The base seems OK, but from just one view, I have absolutely no idea what I'd do other than performing a severe trunk chop and starting over.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My initial thought was it seemed to have some chops that made movement ( a little too high) but were allowed to grow passed creating taper. Which kind of creates, well, what bothers 2 folks now!

All is not lost though IMO. When life gives you lemons, squirt the juice in your eye and get a different outlook!

Of course. My second thought was airlayer it just below the bend, maybe on an angle, to get the widest possible base, and allow it to naturally follow the movement of the above sections. Of which, seems could get nice with some sacrifice branching, and a proper execution of your apex plan. (With taper!)

Then you will be able to create a formal broom with the bottom, which does have a decent base going. Just keep the big roots pruned back and let the little ones run till they Balance out. Maybe a root/approach graft or 2?

I assume these are not too readily available out in the S.A.?
You'll have 2 nice ones soon enough!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And I would wire your new leader up immediately. Its cutting way too directly forward over the rest. Almost down again. That curve wont soften till you lose the taper again.

Careful not to disturb the roots too much! A wobble free wiring!

Sorce

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am amazed at this American need to chop the shit out of everything purchased. This is a great trunk. It has movement and does have taper, albeit subtle. Has some starts of some branches in the right places and the leader is in a good place.

With the right techniques on building good branches on this trunk, this will be a unique maple for sure. I would just put the time in necessary to build a great tree over time. Time is the healer of shortsightedness.

This from a bonified trident lover.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I agree completely with Smoke. The trunk is really quite good, but not in the typical "maple" form. Here's a pretty impressive trident I've seen up close...your tree reminds me of this one.
attachment.php

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am amazed at this American need to chop the shit out of everything purchased. This is a great trunk. It has movement and does have taper, albeit subtle. Has some starts of some branches in the right places and the leader is in a good place.

With the right techniques on building good branches on this trunk, this will be a unique maple for sure. I would just put the time in necessary to build a great tree over time. Time is the healer of shortsightedness.

This from a bonified trident lover.

Agree totally. This a pretty cool trunk. All muscular looking and no stove pipe action.
This is coming from a guy who likes to chop the shit out of trees.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm trying to get over my typical American need to sugarcoat stuff and be accepting.

I don't see this tree suiting ME in time. I tried...but I can't see it. And I am a student of the future.

Seems like it would have to get really tall to work as is.

The other one. Nice trunk. But it seems to have gotten to the ramification stage too soon.

Only my opinion.

I dig the Japanese styling, and a Natural styling. But this in between stuff I do not understand.

I would be happy owning both trees either way! (Saw in hand! Lol)

Sorce

Reaction score
Thanks for al the replies, I didnt expect this much reaction

In answer to availability- No its not that common over here, tridents with big trunks (which is most if not all tridents) are from people who have had them for a number of years, so although I see how a little more subtle taper could improve this in a couple of years I'll be cruising on Smoke's advice and develop branches and work on softening the sudden stop with a nice tapered apex

Everything else Ive hoarded over the last year is all in developmemt stages where Im layering off a section or growing a leader
So I plan to thoroughly enjoy actually working on a tree for the first time in almost a year, even if its just growing out and cutting back to thicken branches and improve ramification (something I know everything about when it comes to theory) but have never actually done on something of my own.
Ive converted to deciduous entirely the last year because of colder winters in my mile radius so Im kinda new to the whole type of tree.
But Im getting carried away..... Most people here use thorn trees.. which freeze

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think I'd take it and lean it to the right (first pic) and get even more movement out of that trunk. I like the big bend, but I like interesting and different. I have a trident a bit like this, and am enjoying developing it.

Reaction score
Thank you for the Image of that beautiful trident- most on the net are kind of thick base, tapering to a tip with lots of knobbly bumps which is great and very majestic but Ive honestly never seen a tree like that

Id just like to thank the users like Smoke and Brian van Fleet who post good advice and always help- Ive read this forum at least four times a week for almost 3 years now, and I come here for the kind of expertise that you guys share and the good attitude in which its shared. Thank you

Reaction score
I dig the Japanese styling, and a Natural styling. But this in between stuff I do not understand.

Sorce

I havent had the opertunity to work with anyone but Im with a club and a study group as well, and I read all I can find, download images and draw them out. Still trying to get to the stage where I can see into it / be newly creative with material
Starting to bet on the more material to work with = getting closer to that point

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Well, trident lover Smoke notwithstanding, I still don't think the tree as presented has a lot to offer without a lot of changes, but I did note that we were given just one view of the whole thing. Maybe another view -- or Judy's idea of a different planting angle! -- would make me change my mind.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, trident lover Smoke notwithstanding, I still don't think the tree as presented has a lot to offer without a lot of changes, but I did note that we were given just one view of the whole thing. Maybe another view -- or Judy's idea of a different planting angle! -- would make me change my mind.

I agree. I find that when working with people in workshops that I teach the one thing that most people here in America lack is future vision. The ability to look at material and envision a place you wish to take it or where you see it five years. I can only grasp from your statements that you feel you lack the ability to have vision. One view notwithstanding, "I" still see a great tree here. I think I have posted enough trident work over the years to know what I am talking about.

I think if we were both at the show, It makes me feel good that you would have passed this over so that I could have bought it.
Cheers, Al

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I remember at the World Famous Fresno Bonsai Swap Meet coming up soon, that no one wanted this piece of material either.

Attachments

• DSC_00340005.JPG
    DSC_00340005.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 155

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had a vision for it...
I think its come along pretty good for four years work.

Attachments

• DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 153
Reaction score
Haha ok :)
I'll take some pics from all round tomorrow morning and add them, with the nice roots at the back a little tilt with the next repot could change it

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have to admit, I didn't look at an angle change.

That Could do it for me.

Still sharpening that saw though!

Sorce

Top Bottom