Newly aquired shishigashira

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I recently purchased a shishigahira from a local nursery and wanted some feedback on my plans to developed it into a bonsai. First, I was trying to find the graft union. I think the scion and rootstock fused together nicely and is indistinguishable, but I'm no expert. What do you guys think?

Shishi graft 1.JPGShishi graft 2.JPGShishi graft 3.JPGShishi graft 4.JPG

Since the scion and rootstock works well together and the movement looks good, I thought maybe I shouldn't air-layer off the shishigahira. Instead I was thinking about developing it like this
Shishi 2 edit.JPG

I figured the shishigahira and rootstock will likely have similar bark. However, I'm not entirely sure about this.

As for the rest of the tree (trunk on left), I turned it 90 degree clockwise. About where that first branch emerge there's some nice movement in the trunk. I plan to air-layer this section where the blue line is and use the red line as the trunk or maybe the purple line.
Shishi Airlayer edit.JPG

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'd be perfectly happy with that graft. There's no sign of either one swelling and very little difference in bark color.. In a few years the lower bark is likely to turn grey as it matures anyway.

You appear to have picked well and the plans for trunk line(s) look good to me. Hope you can get the cuts to heal up in reasonable time.

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Now that temperatures are fair, the time has come to remove the crap soil this tree is in. After some laborious hours, I finally got it barerooted.

F0BD8988-C5AE-4833-B4F3-2DB422BF8117.jpegBB50B9DB-BEFA-4451-8DEE-7CA1150BF108.jpeg
I wish I got a better angle at the roots that will contribute to the nebari, but there’s not much to look at anyways. Looks like I’ll be doing root grafts or ground layer. Either way I won’t be touching the roots until 2023.

0304470E-4341-46BA-9F12-C5D6800267FA.jpegC1A9E2E0-8292-49D0-BF5D-C2BF578B41CA.jpeg
I also played with the angle. I think I like the 2nd pic

Top Bottom