Newly carved grape

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This grape was one of five from a vineyard that was removing older stock. This was a discard. It didn't look like it had a chance but this one survived. I planted it in the ground for two years and dug it out of the ground last year after the new growth was established. I carved away the wood above the new growth and carved a more believable trunk this week.

The branches were left growing freely but should be cut back soon. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• grape 5.jpg
    grape 5.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Grape1op.jpg
    Grape1op.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Grape2op.jpg
    Grape2op.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Grape vines can be tenacious. I worked at a vineyard in the finger lakes of NY for one summer. They were taking out a vineyard of around 500 vines that had been freeze damaged several years in a row. Most of them had died back to below the graft. It took about 3 rounds of industrial strength round up to kill them. Even then there were still a couple here and there that had green.

I was into bonsai at the time but was not in the position to collect any of the vines. One day I may try to go back and see if there is anything they are planning on ripping out.

Your carving looks good. I would try to make it more of a hollow in the trunk. It looks a little too uniform to me.

Top Bottom