newly collected boxwood

ngonz

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hello all,

i recently acquired a small boxwood shrub from my neighbor as a gift, as he was replacing his shrubs with azaleas.

received it bare rooted, potted into a pond basket with some home made soil (one part lava, pumice, de, and pine bark mulch respectively)

the tree had a nice thick trunk under its first root mass with a nice root flare from some long gone nebari, sadly i did not get any pictures of it, but i performed a mini airlayer procedure on it and buried it.

its a bit late in the season for a repot so im going to leave the tree alone this season to let it bounce back.

looking to cut it back pretty far in the future, i'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions you may have.

IMG-0706.jpg
it is rather tall, planning to reduce it heavily next season when the tree is full of vigor
IMG-0708.jpg
it has quite a few trunks, even without the trunk below it might make a nice double
IMG-0716.jpg
the growth is quite dense on one side, as it was grown against the side of the house..

looking forward to hearing your ideas, and beginning my journey with this art.

i should mention, i am rather new to it.

thanks for reading,

-NG

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You need to get to here in one, felled swoop...bk 1.JPG
If it is growing well next spring, I'd do in mid June. Seal with Elmer's. That should give it enough growing season left to push a second flush and buds for the following years. Others may differ.

ngonz

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You need to get to here in one, felled swoop...View attachment 374954
If it is growing well next spring, I'd do in mid June. Seal with Elmer's. That should give it enough growing season left to push a second flush and buds for the following years. Others may differ.
woah, that's a lot shorter than i had considered, but can definitely see how that would be the right move. makes the most of the thickness of the trunks and actually allows me to utilize all three!

nice photo editing, the visualization really helps

it would make a wonderful dense tree, given whats in the photo. my only concern is that it would waste the trunk i have buried below, i realize now that it would have been better to include some form of drawing since i forgot to take pictures.
box roots.jpg
this is more or less what it looks like beneath the soil, its got a thick trunk with small pads of dense roots emerging from it (represented by the lousy green scribbles). i attempted an airlayer at the base to see if i could get new nebari to form down there, i'll get to see if it worked next spring.

im unsure if it will ever be feasible to use but, but ill most certainly keep your design in mind come next spring!

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd keep the wood to make pottery tools!

This may prove to be a "learn and burn"!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom