Newly collected hackberry question

Tom Melchor

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Collected this April 24 from the neighbor across the street. I did the black bag heat mat with frequent misting and minimal watering. After a month it started to bud, I then switched to a clear plastic and only exposed it to an hour or so to direct sun. I'm a newbie at bonsai just started last year. I have removed the bag completely and moved it from the front porch to the back yard. It gets maybe 2 or 3 hours of dappled sun. I continue misting it throughout the day. Should I leave well enough alone or can I give it a little more direct sun? I'm in zone 5a. Appreciate any feedback!20220615_110128.jpg20220615_110119.jpg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First I don’t have hackberry and live in a colder zone 4 . Looks like you have done very well it’s budding well . It kind of depends on each teee . I like to let the tree tell me . So based on the amount of roots you got . Continue its transition . I’d start with the water cycle . Lay off the misting water the tree well . See how it dries the box . Start te get a feel for how much the tree is absorbing water . Ie how good the roots are doing . It’s important the box cycles wet to dry . But not complete dry . Watch the foliage any sign of dryness wilting . Back off give it a week . Transition from misting to watering . If all is good try some more light . You can still mist just get the tradition going . There pretty tough plants . Your end goal should be n all the light the tree will take . This is best for most trees . The amount of light will change for different species . But you want growth fire strength and wound healing and branches you can train . Just keep pushing the envelope . Light water growth . Watch the tree . A maple I dug this spring got more light on weekend . Yesterday was hottest and brightest so far this spring . Just started to almost wilt at top when I got home from work . It’s staying in the sun just watered more often hope this helps. . I like the tree 👍👍

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like it is growing well. You should be able to transition this to a spot in your yard that gets a bit more sunlight. Start with a spot that gets an extra hour or two, give the tree a week and watch how it is responding. If you haven't started fertilizing yet, you should start now!

Tom Melchor

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the input I'll start giving it more sun and follow your suggestions.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have only collected two but so far I've noticed that top growth will happen long before the roots start doing anything. Maybe that's how other collected stuff is too but I'm talking about having lignified branches and not a single white root. Maybe your heat mat changed that though. I don't baby mine at all, no misting or anything I just put them in full sun to grow after collection and they were happy. Be careful how often you mist foliage on a deciduous tree, as far as I know that's more of coniferous collection technique and cuttings as well. But I'm no hackberry expert so who knows maybe they don't mind the constant humidity like others do

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
also remember that in terms of general care, it's impossible to over water them. very flood tolerant.

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
nice guy doing very well...

lovely usage of a drawer... never crossed my mind... but I'll think about it next time ;)

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the north hackberry is not wet ground tree . There have been high quality wild collected trees from poor quality dry and or sparse soil . Often in open full sun . Shows how variables trees can be . Fruiting and flowering trees often get a rep of needing to be babied . This most likely comes from gardening and the nursery trade . Where fruit yield is the primary concern hence rich soil . In nature trees like apple and cherry grow in poor soil The common denominator is most are intolerant. If shade . So most are very tough in heat and cold and soil and wet dry . But they need light there not understory trees that are easily burned in the sun

Tom Melchor

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We have lots of them here in northeastern Indiana. I will push it a littler harder with sun, water and fert. Thanks

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are also prone to desease and insects more so than other trees . There good to eat 😂😂 one of there defences is rapid growth this is good and bad for bonsai they grow well and heal wounds fast they are also far easier to treat for pests and desease than a tree in nature but there rapid growth if restrained to much will have
Adverse effects

Top Bottom