Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know the cold hardiness of collected conifers been discussed, but here is how my spruce and lodgepole pine look at the moment: pots heeled in on the ground, zone 384C6CAEE-643C-4FAE-86FF-CFB0876334AD.jpeg5E93DBEC-9C10-4D61-B06A-692DE885B210.jpeg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello everyone! Thanks so much for accepting me to the team... I mean group;)
So I recently collected this beautiful pine from Massachusetts, right near the ocean. I believe it’s either a Scott’s Pine or Pitch Pine, possibly a Japanese Black Pine.
I successfully transferred her into a new pot using a nice mixture of a few different mediums I’m sure she’ll be happy with.
The trunk was anchored/wired into place using raffia to protect it. My question is what should my next step be... Should I wait? Should I wire? Should I do a little pruning... I feel I should prune before I start wiring seriously.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Please put your location in your profile so that we dont have to ask you on every thread you post where you are.
This will help us give you better advice in the future as it is typically location dependant.

As for this tree, you dug it too soon. You should have waited at least 2 -3 months before you dug it up.
It needs to remain cold but because you dug it up recently, it needs to be protected from freezing.
If you have an attached garage, that would work. Water it when it needs it (when the soil is almost dry).
Do nothing else to this tree until the fall of 2022. Leave it be, water it and start fertilizing it in the spring (May) if it lives and starts to show growth.

cmsheehan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Please put your location in your profile so that we dont have to ask you on every thread you post where you are.
This will help us give you better advice in the future as it is typically location dependant.

As for this tree, you dug it too soon. You should have waited at least 2 -3 months before you dug it up.
It needs to remain cold but because you dug it up recently, it needs to be protected from freezing.
If you have an attached garage, that would work. Water it when it needs it (when the soil is almost dry).
Do nothing else to this tree until the fall of 2022. Leave it be, water it and start fertilizing it in the spring (May) if it lives and starts to show growth.
Thank you!

cmsheehan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unfortunately no it did not. I did learn a lot while trying to keep it alive and will not make that mistake again. Thanks for asking!

Top Bottom