Newly qcquired Chinese Quince

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I got this Chinese Quince yesterday and think it can be something special. It is as it came from the nursery (Muranaka) and I plan on "living" with the tree for a while before doing anything. I have some preliminary thoughts and will seek advice from friends in the Alabama Bonsai Society.

This is the first time I have actually posted one of my trees. I invite your opinions and suggestions.

The photos are not that good as I took them with my phone but I think you can get the feel of the tree. :eek:

NC Photos for Specials--#4 009.jpgNC Photos for Specials--#4 010.jpgNC Photos for Specials--#4 011.jpgNC Photos for Specials--#4 012.jpg

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I failed to list the size of the tree.

8" tall from soil line

9" wide canopy at the widest point

1.5" base

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree. I am also thinking about adding this.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Nice addition! I have two chinese quince in my collection. One in the pot and one in the ground. nicest one i ever saw was in david de groot's personal collection. (he's curator for the Pacific rim Bonsai collection in federal way,washington. ) Was potted in the prettiest lite blue pot that complimented the pink in the blooms so well. suggest you consider getting your tree into something it can grow readily in and don't be afraid to allow it to put on some length and try not to be in a hurry to chop back constantly. Keep balance a primary focus. Don't be tempted to off the lowest branch as we need it to develop base diameter. Don't worry about blooms or fruit production as it's gonna be awhile. While I'm a great fan of chojubai and other Japanese flowering quince, I think the bark on Chinese quince in winter is their crowning achievement. thanks for sharing :)

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been looking for a Cjinese Quince for many years after seeing one in a book. This thread brougth that back for me when i seen it and posted how is this one doing. I came back again to look at the pictures again and seen Muranaka, looked him up and found his nursery and now I have one on the way ! Thanks for putting this back in my mind Ron, and my wife would probably have a few choice words for you too .... :(

Seriously though I do appreciate seeing this post and especially the name of the seller of your tree as I would never have found one of these, and my wife thinks I am crazy anyway so don't worry.

ed

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I myself am completely enamored of Chinese quince. I've got my one smaller one in development, and now have a large (really large) project quince that came from Don. This may be where I start to specialize. Bark like this and stewartia (just got a stewartia project too) are increasingly attractive to me.

I like your tree Ron, it has potential. Have you picked a front? I like the image of pic 1, but also 3. But as pic 3 is taken from a bit above, can't really say for sure about that side. Could you take some from a lower perspective? I would say that you'll need to do something with the apex at some point and choose a new leader. (could be that those 2 thick branches are already going away, and are just left for dieback?) I would love to hear your preliminary thoughts about developing this. I appreciate you posting a tree!!! esp as its a C. quince.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I love chinese quince, hey it's a quince! LOL

I have three, one in the ground and two in pots buried into the soil for winter. My best one is showing leaves, next one nary an idication of life :( the third growing in the ground never completely went dormant and is still holding last year's leaves partially.

Like Judy, I quess the fqscination for me is more with the bark.....

appreciate you posting yours and help us follow your efforts with more pics :)

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yea the bark on the Chinese Quince is amazing, it looks like one of the trees next to a swamp with the mosses and lichen on them. They seem to always have the multi-color and peel to them and are as good looking to me as the flowers.

ed

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oooo, I've killed a couple Chojubi as well. I was referring to Chinese Quince, the subject of the thread, (well, besides the dude's birthday).

I wonder if they have similar horticultural requirements?:confused::D:D:D:D:D

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wonder if they have similar horticultural requirements?

I have several varieties, 1 here(in the picture a good size Toyo) and the balance at the farm. Potted I grow them all the same and they respond well. I must add though I don't fertilize them or any other bush or vine anywhere what near what I do with most plants/trees. In the Spring when they are moving I give them a substantial dose as I do with all other plants waking. While they are going crazy growing a few weeks later one more dose. After that no more until late Summer early Fall and again just one dose after the traditional heat spell for 2 weeks or so. What I have found most common with all of them is they respond badly to any period of "wet" - very similar to Bougainvillea and Azalea/Rhodes. To Balance never wet or dry is the only drawback I have here but it can be done with plants that require it.

Grimmy

Top Bottom