Next Generation

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
This is my next to the youngest grandchild, three years old. Out of the four she seems to be the only one that is very interested in what grampa does in the backyard. She likes to help water and just hang out when I am in my little world. So this weekend I asked her if she wanted to help papa work on his trees? Of course she was all smiles! I asked her what tree she wanted to work on and she picked this won't be bonsai white pine I had that was destined for the landscape. I brought it out and set it on the table and explained to her to just pull off all the brown dead needles. She jumped right in! Pulling all needles. I stopped her and showed her how and she very delicately pulled off the old needles. I was amazed that she actually had the patience to do this. She got distracted every now and then but she came back to pull more. When she got distracted and went to do something else I would keep working on a black pine and she would return to work some more. By the end of the day she had most of the old needles removed (unbelievable!!) Now she says this is her tree and I believe her ;)

A Friend in bonsai
John

Attachments

• bonsai carley.jpg
    bonsai carley.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 31
  • carley bonsai.jpg
    carley bonsai.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, John. You are a fortunate man indeed. It almost makes me wish that I had grandkids...almost! LOL

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You've been blessed, John. Both bonsai's and children need nuturing, attention and training, but trees pale in comparison to grandkids. Treasure each moment. Isn't it funny, we never know which moments will become an indelible images etched in the memory of those youngsters, but one of these bonsai moments are probably among them.

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
You've been blessed, John. Both bonsai's and children need nuturing, attention and training, but trees pale in comparison to grandkids. Treasure each moment. Isn't it funny, we never know which moments will become an indelible images etched in the memory of those youngsters, but one of these bonsai moments are probably among them.

Hi Jeff,
Yes this really surprised me that she was so interested at her age. She loves to help me water when she comes over. She does not like the junipers and black pines yet,,says they are to prickly ;)
She fell in love with the white pine because it was so soft.
Yes I will treasure each and every moment that my grandkids give me.

A Friend in bonsai
John

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are also very fortunate to have grandchildren nearby. With my daughter in the Army, and my son in Tennessee, I rarely get to see them, much less any future offspring they might have!

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All right John an apprentice ;) .

I can relate to what your experiencing John. Taylor started at about that age. She displayed the same M.O. With patience who knows what mini master your granddaughter may be come. I found with Taylor that just having fun with the trees was the most important...the rest will fall into place.

Thanks for sharing I always enjoy seeing kids discover bonsai, she sure looks like she had some fun.

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
All right John an apprentice ;) .

I can relate to what your experiencing John. Taylor started at about that age. She displayed the same M.O. With patience who knows what mini master your granddaughter may be come. I found with Taylor that just having fun with the trees was the most important...the rest will fall into place.

Thanks for sharing I always enjoy seeing kids discover bonsai, she sure looks like she had some fun.

Thanks Tom,
She has not told me yet what she plans on doing with that dead awful straight trunk half way up though ;) I am sure she is thinking about it ;)
Hey when are you going to get out this way? Maybe I could come out your way some day.

A Friend in bonsai
John

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey when are you going to get out this way? Maybe I could come out your way some day.

I'm hoping to go out and see my sister in Cleveland in the near future. Perhaps we could get together then. Of course your always welcome here anytime.

Top Bottom