Next spring; Repot & Hard Prune?

green_emi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello everyone!
I'm brand new to the site and to the world of bonsai. Although I have been reading and trying to learn like a maniac!
I received a chinese elm a few days ago and I've been focused on geting it acclimated and getting used to the watering routine. The tree came in a really heavy soil that takes a long time to dry so I'm thinking that my priority for next spring would be to repot it in good well-draining soil. Because I can't do anything to the tree for now, I've been analysing its shape and branching and what jumps out at me is that there is a bulge forming on my main lower branch because of three branches growing from the same spot. Will I be able to cut off one of these braches in spring at the same time as the repot? There are another 1 or two other cases as this on the tree and I really don't want those bulges to get bigger.
I don't want to over-stress the tree so my question is this:
Can I do branch pruning at the same time as a re-pot OR should I do it in early summer or even next year (risking massive bulges on a main branch)?
I would appreciate any advice

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello everyone!
I'm brand new to the site and to the world of bonsai. Although I have been reading and trying to learn like a maniac!
I received a chinese elm a few days ago and I've been focused on geting it acclimated and getting used to the watering routine. The tree came in a really heavy soil that takes a long time to dry so I'm thinking that my priority for next spring would be to repot it in good well-draining soil. Because I can't do anything to the tree for now, I've been analysing its shape and branching and what jumps out at me is that there is a bulge forming on my main lower branch because of three branches growing from the same spot. Will I be able to cut off one of these braches in spring at the same time as the repot? There are another 1 or two other cases as this on the tree and I really don't want those bulges to get bigger.
I don't want to over-stress the tree so my question is this:
Can I do branch pruning at the same time as a re-pot OR should I do it in early summer or even next year (risking massive bulges on a main branch)?
I would appreciate any advice
It would be great if you can post photos of your tree, it is hard to envision it to give you good advice. You can do pruning at the same time as repotting as a rule. Just be sure to leave buds below where you cut back to, unless you want to take the whole branch off.
Welcome to Bnut!

green_emi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hey thanks for answering!
Yes I'm planning on removing a secondary branch that's creating a bulge on the primary branch. Would that be too stressful for the plant if I do it at the same time as re-potting?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey thanks for answering!
Yes I'm planning on removing a secondary branch that's creating a bulge on the primary branch. Would that be too stressful for the plant if I do it at the same time as re-potting?
No it won't hurt. In fact if an elm is healthy it will just sprout another at the same spot. Or even out the cut end of a stub.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
On the other hand, it can be repotted about now, @green_emi.
I have and continue to repot zelkovas and seiju elms about now (Aug/Sep).
Just put it in afternoon shade if it should wilt or get 'weepy'/'droopy' shortly afterward.

green_emi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for the advice guys!
I might try to take off one of these extra branches causing a bulge (there's about three sites like that on the tree) at the same time as repotting and do the other two in early summer.
I really don't feel brave enough to repot it now, I just received it in the mail and I would like it to acclimate to its new home and be healthy before I do. I think now it's either a little dormant because of the extreme heat or still in shock from transport (or both).
Thank you so much for the replies, I couldn't find anything about this in the forum.
Hopefuly I won't kill it and I'll have lovely pictures to show you guys soon :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the advice guys!
I might try to take off one of these extra branches causing a bulge (there's about three sites like that on the tree) at the same time as repotting and do the other two in early summer.
I really don't feel brave enough to repot it now, I just received it in the mail and I would like it to acclimate to its new home and be healthy before I do. I think now it's either a little dormant because of the extreme heat or still in shock from transport (or both).
Thank you so much for the replies, I couldn't find anything about this in the forum.
Hopefuly I won't kill it and I'll have lovely pictures to show you guys soon :)
Impressed you are starting out with patience...allowing it to acclimate and learn the care of the tree. Two thumbs up! ????

Top Bottom