Next step for parsons juniper?

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just bought this from the nursery. Has a great trunk, yellowing leaves on the inside. Should I open up the canopy to get some more light in, or repot to get some healthy root growth going? From what I’ve been reading, it’s either /or with junipers.

Attachments

• DA1D50EF-9961-4D5D-8F10-291303CF4C4A.jpeg
    DA1D50EF-9961-4D5D-8F10-291303CF4C4A.jpeg
    531.2 KB · Views: 80

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yellowing leaves are because of inadequate light. I suggest trying to wire to wire the branches in position so that light gets to the inside rather than cutting anything off. Sometime around August is a good time to repot it, IMHO. Then next spring think about cutting back and getting some back budding started. Stuff that is already yellow will most likely turn brown and brittle, but other greenish interior stuff will likely perk up.

On the other hand, if you bought this for styling practice, do it right away if you want. It is basically healthy, so there is no reason to rush into repotting. It likely can wait until next spring if you want.

Last edited:

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Alright. Did some cutting back and thinning. Think I’m going to Jin the branch in the front right and make the tree out of the branch to the left and center

Attachments

• 6E3AC938-FCEF-4D09-8196-906A1D64E166.jpeg
    6E3AC938-FCEF-4D09-8196-906A1D64E166.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 60

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can where you’re going here. I recently obtained five of these and am following your work. I’m wondering what you or other folks think of right (future jin), letting grow recklessly for a while, providing strength and allowing for other work in what will be the trees structure..and also fattening the base?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
...I “see” that is..

about a month ago, trimmed mine up and did some chopping on a few as well, cut 1-2” off bottom, and slip potted into collanders recently w/ de and bark..they seem to be alright.

Time will tell..been learning that junipers take their time to let you know they’re pissed, but the Parsons seems pretty tough so far.

Reactions: Rid

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I agree with your thoughts... what shape do you see the tree having? Semi-cascade? Informal upright?
Informal upright. Not really a fan of the semi cascade style, though that might change over the next few years.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
...I “see” that is..

about a month ago, trimmed mine up and did some chopping on a few as well, cut 1-2” off bottom, and slip potted into collanders recently w/ de and bark..they seem to be alright.

Time will tell..been learning that junipers take their time to let you know they’re pissed, but the Parsons seems pretty tough so far.
Can’t help you with the Jin question, I’ve never done one. I have been advised that growing junipers in colanders is unnecessary because they naturally grown fine roots.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmm..interesting.

I’ve gotten where I put everything in colanders now. I have a ton black pots but they scare me, we’re already up in the 90*s this week.

They make me feel like they’re breathing too. I have plans to build some boxes soon.

Pre-Jin Power Branch!!!!...I’ve never worked one either

Top Bottom